.243 Rock Chucker?

jayph

A buddy asked me about this round today and I honestly had never heard about it before. A quick search showed that it's a .257 Roberts necked down to .243. Anybody here shooting one? He is pretty sure that his 6mm AI is on it's last legs and is looking for a a new caliber. He wants a fast 6mm but not ridiculously overbore. Doens't care if it's no better than his 6mm AI he just wants to try something new. It's a coyote rifle so it never see's rapid fire and not many rounds a year so barrel life is not a big worry as long as he can get 900-1000 rounds of good accuracy out of it. Or if you have no experience with the .243 Rock Chucker what would you recoment for a 6mm coyote round. He would like to go wildcat cartridge but nothing too crazy.

If he wants speed and accuracy, I would go with a 6x284. With a 30" barrel, it will push the 87grn V-Max at 3700fps.

To put it another way a 257 Roberts necked to 243 is a 6mm Remington. If you already have 6mm RemingtonAI dies it would be crazy to switch to something else, once the barrel is toast then fireform a couple hundred new cases and you are good to go with your new barrel.
UB
ps instead of switching cases try a fast twist barrel (1-8" or 1-9"twist for VLD type bullets)

Last edited:
Go with the 6x284, use 6.5x284 Lapua brass. With a 26-inch barrel you can get 3600 FPS with the 87-grain V-Max. It will kill prairie dogs past 1,000 yards. This combination will splatter anything you shoot with it beyond description. I also like to shoot the 105 A-Max at 3200 FPS. This is a reduced load, 200 FPS off of max, but it seems to defy gravity and shoots flat as a string. It opens up very well too. Go with a 9-twist if you want to stablize the 105 V-Max. 12-twist or faster will stabilize the 87 V-Max.

If you really want to go overbore,I'll loan anyone a reamer and dies,6mm/257 Weatherby to experiment with.If you can find any 5010 powder it will push a 100gr spitzer right at 4000fps cronographed out of a 26" barrel.Haven't shot it in years since the I used up all my 5010 but have thought about trying with some of the newer powders.Not easy on barrels by any means but it works.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.