starting about 30 years ago is when new powders started to appear. Stability and higher velocities at lower peak pressures. When 7828 came out it was great for magnums and over bore cases. I jumped on Hybird 100V and ramshot hunter for my 243. The copper fouling reducer powders was one of the great properties of modern powders.

For 243 Superformance has been my go to powder for all my 243 bullet weights. StaBall 6.5 was available locally in 2021 before the gouger prices set in. About $23 per pound. or $184 for 8 pounders. I bought some for range chrono and paper data. I didn't spend enough time to perfect it in 243. Superformance was just so nice that I didn't want to shoot hundreds of bullets just dialing in something new.

There is no reason to even purchase the older IMR mixtures.

8 X 32 with 60 mm objective. REM 243 SPS Varminter 26 inch with Holland brake. 9.125 twist. For an off the shelf rifle with some trigger work and set at 2 pounds it is hard to beat. ON the next barrel it will probably become an AI in the 27 or 28 inch class.

The target picture is at 200 yards. The scope has 1/8th inch clicks. So the first shot was down low and I started cranking it up and messing with left and right to see if the clicks were doing what they were supposed to. I just walked it into perfect at 200 and called it good. The scope had been on another rifle and sighted in so it was just low for 243 at 200 yards. I had a 1000's of 308 cases that I necked down and inside and outside neck turned for accuracy and tension to head to south Dakota for many days of PD shooting

Attachments

• 243 2660.jpg
    243 2660.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 243Brake.jpg
    243Brake.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, is your 700 a rebarrel to get 1:8 twist? Mine is 1:10 factory and won't stabilize VLDs or 100+ grainers.
The rifle shoots well up to 95s and I can ring steel out to at least 450yds. When I rebarrel, I will definitely go 1:8
My factory barrel was a 9 1/8, I thought it was odd in that the 100gn Hornady Interlocks shot great, but the 90gn ELD-Xs were terrible. 90gn Nosler BTs and 87gn SSTs were fine.

It's gone now, replaced by a 7 twist for 108/109 Bergers.

My factory barrel was a 9 1/8, I thought it was odd in that the 100gn Hornady Interlocks shot great, but the 90gn ELD-Xs were terrible. 90gn Nosler BTs and 87gn SSTs were fine.

It's gone now, replaced by a 7 twist for 108/109 Bergers.
Quick question Quiet Texan,will the faster twist still allow good accuracy with 90-100 gr bullets?

Quick question Quiet Texan,will the faster twist still allow good accuracy with 90-100 gr bullets?
It should, I still have a bunch of 90 and 95 Nosler BTs I can try. I'm not trying to make a laser beam, I'm running the AI for the better case dimensions, not to try to eek out every last FPS. I'd do a WSSM if I wanted to do that, but I might still see if I can blow up a 58gn V-Max.