.243 or 7mm-08??

my $0.02 worth:

Recoil includes bullet weight as part of the equation. If you reload, get her the 7mm-08, load some 110 or 120 gr bullets at about 2600 fps. It will have the same 'felt' recoil as the 243 with factory ammo. Then, if she decides to step up and go after larger game at longer distances, you can develop a load to match the circumstances.

Yes, I know Kit Carson shot a 7x7 bull elk at 600 yds with his trusty 243, but most people aren't him.

He shot Quana Parker in the arm, 1600yrds, 50-110, and he was flock shooting at em:D it was at Adobe Wells

get the 243 first then you have a reason to buy anther rifle later as an upgrade sheeesh :rolleyes: lol

I also was surprised at the number of 243 suggestions. I hunt S. Az and while I have killed a few coues with the 6mm Rem and one with a 243, I vote for the 7-08. It is more versatile and when she gets around to hunting elk you won't need a different rifle.

Start with reduced loads for practice and use full power loads for hunting. She will be able to handle it IF the stock fit is right plus a good recoil pad. Heck you can add something like the shooter's friend from Cabelas for bench shooting. It makes a huge difference. A 120 Nosler ballistic tip would be a perfect bullet for the 7-08. This bullet killed many coues from my slightly more powerful 284 win. I have read that the 120 nos bt is built tough and many on 24 hr campfire have raved about its performance. It always exited the coues I shot out to 450 yds.

link at shooter's friend:

Cabela's: Search Results

I'll take the 243 all day long for deer, it's perty much the go to chambering around here for first time deer and elk hunters, I cut two elk and a deer from a young lady last year and she proved very handy with her little 243.

Neither are bad choices. I would say .243 just off the of the recoil side of it. I have .243, .260, and .308. The smaller bullets have less recoil and might help her leran it better therefore resulting in better shot placement. Hard to say either way. I don't think you can go wrong either way. I underestimated the .243 for a long time till I started shooting matches and getting my butt handed to me. Other than being hard on bbls the .243 offers great ballistics and low recoil. As long as you go ahead and get her either one the learning can start then and only then. Good luck with your choice and keep us posted on the progress.

Thanks for all the tips and comments!

I decided to go with the 7mm-08. Probably won't have time to develop a good load before the deer hunt starts in a few weeks, but that won't matter much. I'm sure I can get her plenty ready using factory ammo for now.

Thanks again!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.