243 or 6mm reminton

6mm CM
95gr Nosler BTs
2885 fps out of 16.5" barrel, suppressed

This is my 9 year old's deer medicine. It has worked exceptionally well for him on six whitetail and one blackbuck out to 308 yds. He rings MOA steel targets out to 600 with surprising consistency also.

243 or 6mm would likely do just as well. Go with what you like. I'm pretty sure the deer won't be able to tell the difference. For me, I'd choose 6CM or 243, as Lapua, Alpha and others make premium brass.

Last edited:
I have my dad's .243 Win in a Rem 742 and then bought a Savage 99 about 5 years ago in .243. I'm not a fan of the Savage as it's not like I remembered my uncle's growing up. When I found out Remington and Tikka both have 1:8 twist .243'2 I knew I wanted one. A local store had a .243 Tikka T3x Lite SS on sale for $605, so I bought it. I plan on running up to 108 gr bullets in it, but haven't been to the range since I bought it (I except to test a red dot on my 9mm).

I have a 6 ARC in a gas gun and really enjoy it. I am leaning towards a Howa Mini in it as well. I have a Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel and it's a blast to shoot. While I have a 1:8 twist barrel, it does ok with the 105 and 108's, but prefers the 95 gr. bullets.

given the two cartiges what are your faverate one and what would you load in them for white tail deer.also its been told to me either with the right bullets are at most a 300 yard or under deer cartrige.your thoughts on this
I've had both. I still shoot my 6mmRem, took two bambis with it this season. I use 100 gr
Sierra. I wouldn't want to hunt over 300 yards with it.

I've had both. I still shoot my 6mmRem, took two bambis with it this season. I use 100 gr
Sierra. I wouldn't want to hunt over 300 yards with it.

What's the bullet velocity beyond 300 yards?

My 6 ARC is 1800 FPS right at 600 yards. It technically should expand sufficiently at that range, but are 6mms powerful enough at long range?

given the two cartiges what are your faverate one and what would you load in them for white tail deer.also its been told to me either with the right bullets are at most a 300 yard or under deer cartrige.your thoughts on this
If you handload the 6mm will always be cooler 😎. If you don't handload there's no point having a 6mm Remington at this point. The 243 just makes practical sense, brass everywhere, factory ammo everywhere…,but EVERYONE has one 🤣

The 6mm rem is a good design, if only there were readily available true medium length actions haha. But it has a bigger case, sharper shoulder, and longer neck than the 243. All good things.

What's the bullet velocity beyond 300 yards?

My 6 ARC is 1800 FPS right at 600 yards. It technically should expand sufficiently at that range, but are 6mms powerful enough at long range?
Powerful enough for what? A whitetail? Definitely. A mule deer? Probably with a heavy bullet. A 6mm Remington shouldn't have any trouble getting a 115gr VLD to 800yds above 1800fps. It would probably kill deer just fine below 1800fps.

There's a guy on another forum that claims 87gr VLD's are excellent mule deer killers. I like to hit mule deer with more than 87gr, but that doesn't mean it won't work just fine. I killed my first mule deer with an 85gr solid base at 475yds.

Believe it or not, the BC on that bullet is so bad that it has the same energy at 500yds that a 115VLD from the same cartridge would have at 1000yds. So yeah, I think 6mm's have enough "power" for deer. I personally would recommend 105gr or more for large deer, and might not recommend a 6mm for elk, but a 243Win, 6mm Creedmore, or 6mm Rem should all be excellent deer cartridges, even at long range.

Last edited: