243 ackly

I fire-form my brass from military 308 brass, cheap brass and usually a little bit heavier. I use 49gr of Superformance powder and a #34 cci primer, 105 Berger vld hunting at 2.78 coal. This is max load so please start 10% lower. Tikka t3 action with a 1-8 twist 3 grove x-caliber 26" barrel. 3350 fps. Shoots great for me. This rifle is a pleasure to shoot. For this rifle it is 1/4 moa.

Sometimes the some of the cow stays in the case. Wet tumbling cleans it up well And keep a chamber brush rdy and clean the chamber after about 5 shots. Do 5 shot intervals and let the barrel cool.

Last edited:
I have a sako 243 and a 700vs 6mm. Both shoot lights out. The 6 is my go to. I'm getting 3250 FPS with 105 Amax 24 inch barrel with 48.3 Reloader 26 coal of 2.863 will load in magazine barely. Shoots .5 groups. The 243ai should be about the same.

My 243AI is an 8 twist, 24in. With 105 AMAX I get 3200fps with RE22/23, 3280fps with RE26, at moderate to high pressure. I get some primer flattening but the pockets last well (Lapua brass). After initial forming of the case I've never had to trim. I didn't care about case forming, they were as accurate as the eventual developed rounds and I shot up a prairie dog town with them.

Big Don, I use 14g of Bullseye and fill the case up with COW, a tuft of paper towel. I clean the barrel when fire forming every 25 rounds, leave the bore wet with penetrating oil, FREE ALL.

The 243 AI is very, very accurate fire forming loads for hunting, you will loose about 100 fps.

IMR 7828, R#22 is what we use with the 100g Hornady BTSP for deer and hogs, 3200 fps.

WARNING: if you use a custom rifle, do not automatically assume that you can use Lapua or Norna brass in the chamber. European brass in 243 Win is made larger in the web, CIP Specs. American brass is made smaller in the web, SAAMI spec. If you are using a factory rifle, then the chambers are generous to where Lapua brass maybe accommodated in your chamber. Many get busted from having a chamber too small for the Lapua brass, an expensive lesson.

Big Don, I use 14g of Bullseye and fill the case up with COW, a tuft of paper towel. I clean the barrel when fire forming every 25 rounds, leave the bore wet with penetrating oil, FREE ALL.

The 243 AI is very, very accurate fire forming loads for hunting, you will loose about 100 fps.

IMR 7828, R#22 is what we use with the 100g Hornady BTSP for deer and hogs, 3200 fps.

WARNING: if you use a custom rifle, do not automatically assume that you can use Lapua or Norna brass in the chamber. European brass in 243 Win is made larger in the web, CIP Specs. American brass is made smaller in the web, SAAMI spec. If you are using a factory rifle, then the chambers are generous to where Lapua brass maybe accommodated in your chamber. Many get busted from having a chamber too small for the Lapua brass, an expensive lesson.
Thank you, Vince. I really appreciate your response.

Speaking of fire forming....
In my .260AI, I used my fire forming loads (140 Barnes Match Burner over H4350) to bang steel out to 1400 yards yesterday. Win/win/win. Get practice reading wind and shooting, form some brass, and have a blast at the same time.
I do the same for all my wildcat cases.