.243 loads

screech

Hey, I have used an 243 alot over the years and have used it mostly on deer and squirles. I know some of you shudder when you hear a 6mm being used on deer but then you are going to really fall over with the question that is to be asked.

I use the 87gr. vmax on deer and black bear but am looking for an elk bullet. I was thinking an partition or maybe trophy bonded bear claw. I have never used the bear claws but I have had good luck with the partition. I have seen lots of factory runner soft point stuff kill elk out of a 243.

In fact, I know of a few oldtimers that use only a 243 and kill elk every year with them.

I dont need a long range load so bcs arent the end of the world.

What would you use?

Have you ever used the bear claw?

good point, I have trouble with them for some reason. I have used the 243 on bears with good luck and some of which were 300+lb bears. Maybe I will get something different. Oh, I made a mistake and was wondering on the grand slam not the bear claw. If I could bring my reloading stuff down to college with me I wouldnt worry about it and just go with my 338-378imp.

[ QUOTE ]
good point

[/ QUOTE ]

OK...just wanted to make sure. Sounds like you have better guns to do the job. So...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

screech, I gotta ask this, you used/have used 87g vmax on bears??? Are you serious?? That particular bullet would not be high on my list for bear/elk bullets out of the .243, great coyote bullet yes, but bears, heck no!! If you've killed them though, I cant argue with that.

If it was me and a 243, I'd be using 100g partition, bear claw, or an 85g XLC. Your gonna want all the penetration you can get on those animals with the little 243.

Keep your range around 300 yards max, and be careful with your shot placement, and you shouldn't have any problems...

On the other hand, whats wrong with your STW and 162g AMAX's???

I was wanting to bring just one gun when I went to school since I cant bring my reloading stuff. Keep it behind the seat and dont let anyone know about it sort of thing. I dont think a 7stw or any of my bigger guns would fare to well on a ground squirle or pdog town. Of course I have been drawing some red mist with my 338-378imp on squirles but nothing impressive enough to post.

The way I hunt bears is off a bait so the 87gr. vmax works great. I can put it anywhere I want. Back bone, behind the shoulder, where ever. Its not that hard to hit a quarter size aiming point at a whopping 35-50yrds.

I am not here to advise hunters to grab a .243 and go after elk if you dont have the restraint to make sure you know you can put a bullet where it is supposed to go. They would have to be almost perfectly broadside or just a neck shot.

Mostly, this will be used for deer just like it always has but I am not bringing any of my expensive rangefinders etc so it will not be used for long range. I have seen a 243 do some amazing things in the hands of those who know how to use them and so I know they will work on elk if you are not treating them like an ultra mag.

Thats why I was hoping to find a load that will be heavy enough for elk at shorter ranges but still a good little deer rifle. Im not saying that it is as good as a ultra mag or stw but it can be done.

I know of one elk that died from a 22lr at 100yrds believe it or not. It was not by me for I am not that good but it can be done. If a 36gr. hollow point can do it I know an 85-100gr. bullet moving twice as fast can.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.