.243 for hogs?

I shipped it today, so it'll be there in plenty of time. It'll be interesting, they've had a bunch of rain down there last week, one county had 15" in 15 hrs.

I'm assuming that he lives in Montgomery/Harris County or East thereof? Lots of rain there last week, especially in those two counties. Good luck with thinning out their population.

Curious as to why you shipped it down there... I thought you could claim it as baggage if you were flying. No real problems down in our neck of the woods. How much did it cost you to ship it down here (and who did you ship it to?) Did you ship it to an FFL or what? I'm just full of curiosity... are you driving by chance? That would be simple to just drive obviously, but like I said, I'm curious... not point fingers or nothing. Good luck, and welcome to Tejas on the 8th... I'll be in Lubbock at that time.

when you get to the place with all that rain, send some to deep south texas , we havent had any for over 6 months ,this sand is deep and dry, your 243 will work great on hogs, with a good bullet, i shoot hogs almost every day with a 243, its not what you use as much as where you put it good luck,kill all of them you can , as we need the help.gun)gun)gun)gun)

$32.00 was the shipping with insurance. I'm flying down to San Antonio for a few days after I leave his place, and I didn't want to cart it thru 6 different airports and store it at the hotel in S.A. when that would be the only checked baggage. I can ship "from me to me" legally - no FFl required. 1100 miles one way is too far for me to drive for a 6 day vacation! Although it would be cheaper than flying, there are times when I'd rather spend the $$ and have more time to visit.

Copy that... I didn't realize how much it would cost to ship to yourself (which I thought of that after I posted my comment... silly me). Thanks for the info, and safe trip.

Almost shoot the 243 for everything and none of the critters said they weren't dead enough goin in the truck... Berger VLD 105 rocks on larger stuff (Deer, bear etc.) and Barnes 62gr VGs smoke the smaller stuff.. (Yotes and such)

I have shot 4 hogs with my 243 in the last 12 months. The largest was 260#. I use the Sierra 85gr and no hogs shot have not died. I actually shoot them roughly in the front leg, lower than a deer and it works just fine. I shot another with a 45-70 which also worked rather well!!

Glad to see this thread as I was going to post the same thing. I have a buddy coming to shoot hogs and he is recoil sensitive. My 243 is the softest shooter I own, but wasn't sure if it was enough for hogs.

juliang - Can we get your recipe for 85 gr SGKs?

Anyone have a good recipe for 95 or 100 gr Partitions?

I wish Nosler would make a .243 Accubond... a 100 gr (plus/minus 5 grains) would be perfect for hogs and mule deer.

My load is:

Rem 9.5 LR primer, AA4350 43gr, SGK # 1530 and 2.66 COAL.

This load chronographs at just over 3100fps. This is about .5 MOA in my Tikka T3 Lite.

243 on hog? sure. A budy of mine shoots 105 partitions at them with no problems. Key is shot placement.

105 partitions? I always thought the only came in 95 or 100 gr for 243. If they exist that would be awesome...can you double check with your buddy?

Last edited:
The .243 will do very well with the behind the ear shot to the spine. I have killed them out to 150yds and they never move.CCI large rifle primer win. brass 43grs 7828 behind a 100gr nosler partition.

I have shot bushpig and warthog with my 243 and 85gr sgk at 3200fps seated to touch the lands - moly coated. Using CCI BR primers and S355 (41gr) - South African propellant more or less equivalent to IMR 4320- hope I am making sense - some tables say it is closer to IMR 4064 and Rel 15 but I am not sure on this. I shoot them behind the ear and in the shoulder.

All pigs were mortally wounded in the making of this post:D

I'm flying to Dallas on may 8th to visit a friend, do some fly fishing for some trophy bass, and he also happens to have some hogs on his "farm" (1300 ac) that could use some thinning out. He really doesn't shoot a rifle, but he said that there is a 30-06 at the farm that the ranch hand uses. He said that a couple of hogs under 100# would cook up nice, but the next sentence was "I hope you know how to clean them because I don't." Well, THAT won't be a problem!:D

So, it's either use the 30--06 (he didn't know what type of rifle it was) or ship my .243 down to myself. I've got it throwing the 85g Barnes TSX bullets @ 3350 fps and they're grouping 3/4 moa.

So, you think it'll be enough or should I take my chances with the 30-06?

I live amongst the hogs on the Sabine River and I can tell you for sure,take the '06. and hopefully its an auto. Thats what I use, Rem. 750 with folding stock and 6- ten round magazines. Hogs run in packs, might make the corner and be in the middle of 15 or 20 hogs and pigs.
Hogs have an armor plate down their shoulders protecting the usual kill zone.
An ear shot is what your trying for, JFK that SOB.
Their taking over in Texas, kill all you want, and some you don't want, leave 'em for the birds. Don't beleive me, Google Wild Hogs in Texas.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.