.243 for hogs?

esshup

I'm flying to Dallas on may 8th to visit a friend, do some fly fishing for some trophy bass, and he also happens to have some hogs on his "farm" (1300 ac) that could use some thinning out. He really doesn't shoot a rifle, but he said that there is a 30-06 at the farm that the ranch hand uses. He said that a couple of hogs under 100# would cook up nice, but the next sentence was "I hope you know how to clean them because I don't." Well, THAT won't be a problem!:D

So, it's either use the 30--06 (he didn't know what type of rifle it was) or ship my .243 down to myself. I've got it throwing the 85g Barnes TSX bullets @ 3350 fps and they're grouping 3/4 moa.

So, you think it'll be enough or should I take my chances with the 30-06?

"So, you think it'll be enough or should I take my chances with the 30-06?"

I would use I knife before I used someone else's ranch hand's rifle over my own. That being said I have never hunted HOGS before allways wanted to but never had the chance. Just my 2 cents but I have no dought you will be fine as long as you stay with in the confines of your shooting abilty.

SHIP YOUR RIFLE YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT.

I "finished off" a hog with a 243 in south carolina. I hit it with a bow and had to finish it with the gun. Do your part the 243 will do it's part. I killed mine with federal premium partition 100gr if I remember correctly.

I would definately choose the .243, cheaper and effective. Over here pigs/hogs are what we go after and most choose a .243 (The 85gr barnes will do just nicely). And besides I hate using an unknown rifle, too many problems could arise....take the .243.

Cheers,

CZ

.243...absolutely. Don't shoot them like you would shot a deer or coyote. Shoot them right behind the ear. Shoot them to far back and the meat tastes like s__.
I like to shoot 95 gr Bergers or Nosler ballistic tips.
Have fun!!:D

I've shot hogs before down in Tenn. with my Savage muzzleloader, but that was with 300 or 350g Barnes "X" bullets. They both were dropped on the spot, hit 1/3 the way down in the fold of skin in front of the shoulder, but I know the .243 won't have that much penetration. They (the Savage and the .243) have almost the same accuracy out to 100 Yds, but past that the .243 takes over. Behind the ear it is! I've got faith in the Barnes holding together, even at close range. thanks!

I have shot 4 hogs with my 243 in the last 12 months. The largest was 260#. I use the Sierra 85gr and no hogs shot have not died. I actually shoot them roughly in the front leg, lower than a deer and it works just fine. I shot another with a 45-70 which also worked rather well!!

We kill a 100 plus hogs a year off a place in South Texas and everyone shot with a 243 died just as well as the ones shot with a 30-06, sometimes better because of the shooter. I would chose your own 243 over a ranch hands truck gun. The truck gun may be just fine, but why take the chance???

100/year!!! wow! Sounds like fun to me.
I understand hogs are a bad problem in many parts of TX.
I am in N. AL...so far we are pretty lucky. Seems like most of the hog problems are further south of us. I understand hogs can decimate deer herds and turkey flocks.
Our club rule - you see a hog..kill it.

I would definitively go with my gun!!! The gun you dont know could be better but could be worst and you would regret not having your gun there. If the hogs are hit well enough they would go down with the 243 for sure.
Remember the movie "The Ghost and the Darkness", the guy goes to the hunt with a gun that wasnt his and misses the shots to the lion, because it wasnt his gun. He took it only because it was of a greater caliber. I know it is only a movie, but it is a good example.
Please keep us posted on how you did on the hunt, and if you take your 243, tell us how it did on the hogs.
Just my two cents. Good luck.

Last edited:
I shipped it today, so it'll be there in plenty of time. It'll be interesting, they've had a bunch of rain down there last week, one county had 15" in 15 hrs.

Cool, good luck and let us know how it goes. Are you planning on sticking with the TSX bullet?

Dont forget to check zero on your rifle when you get down there.

May be a little off base but my dad has killed does @ 450 to 500 yrds with his 243. It will get the job done if you put it were it counts:)

Yes, I'm still sticking with the TSX. I haven't had any time to do any load testing this year, but I'm pretty happy with the load. The 100 g TSX works very well in my .257 Wby, so even tho the .243 throws them a bit slower, I think they will work just fine. I haven't ever had a problem with an animal that was shot with a Barnes, especially at very high impact speeds (Corsican with the .257 Wby @ 25 yds.) The ram stiff legged at impact, and was dead before the hair floated to the ground. Thru and thru, high shoulder, $.50 piece sized exit hole.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.