240 weatherby success

valleysnyper

Guys, I used my new 240 weatherby to shoot a nlce non typical 12 point...if you count the stickers.... I was worried the bullet would pencil through on a short shot due to the velocity. No need to worry, it pole axed him at 60 yds

Attachments

• 20171118_125642.jpg
    20171118_125642.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 475
[ No need to worry, it pole axed him at 60 yds[/QUOTE]

240W is my "most favorite 6mm"...it is a real killer. I always used barnes 75x and 90x (late 90's) I have a church member who has a Mk V 240w and uses it on muleys and elk witht he 95NP. He and his son have taken some nice bulls and many, many muleys with that thing! Congrats!

This was a classic broadside shot, wonder how it will handle a not so good shot angle, next year I'm shooting a different bullet. Haven't made up my mind yet, accubond partition or barnes Ttsx

This was a classic broadside shot, wonder how it will handle a not so good shot angle, next year I'm shooting a different bullet. Haven't made up my mind yet, accubond partition or barnes Ttsx

I had a 6mm/284 made up once, and it was the same as the 240W, only SA, of course. I used the 90gr NBT on an antelope doe at 150yds. She was broadside and the exit hole was bigger than my fist. Now, that load was super flat and great in the wind, but just way too soft for my tastes, as I pretty much knew it would be. I just had to try it, :)
I'm certain that any of the bonded bullets, Partitions or the TTSX will work just fine for you! What I like about flat shooters, i.e the 240W and similar is I sight them in only +1" high at 100 and I can still hold spot on way out past 300yds. I can also "slip one through a hole in the brush" a lot easier than even a +2" zero, much less a +3. Now, of course, if one "knows" they want to shoot at 300+ yds, well, nothing wrong with a +3 or even higher...but I myself am just not a great judge of wind out on those short grass prairies! I don't like to "hold off" more than the windward edge of the kill area. I am going to play with the 120 NBT from my 7x57 and I have some factory .270 ammo that shoots the 110 TTSX super fine from my old .270 BAR. I am going tot ry them next chance I get on antelope/deer. Good luck to you Pard!

Thanks guys, been a couple years since I saw anything big enough to shoot. I don't think I any longer have any doubts about the 240. I a little hesitant still on shoulder shots. But may use the barnes ttsx next year. I think that bullet and the velocity from the round will be great

shoulder shots with the 240 will most likely WASTE that shoulder. I know if I hit the shoulder with my 257 wtby that shoulder is destroyed. I love flat fast rounds they really turn the deers light switch off. congrats on a nice buck

Thanks, I wanted a 240 for a long time. I finally found one I liked in a Vangaurd accugaurd. Now I think I'd like one in 240 or 257 but in a nice shiny model. Anyone have a suggestion for what model ?

The 10" twist is tough. We have gotten away with our 80g but just tested a 70g Hammer Hunter this last hunting season on several deer with great results. Our 10" twist 243 runs them at 3700fps with rl16. We do have a line of Sledge Hammers that we should be able to get out soon and do final impact testing so we can post them on our website. With them you can get a bit heavier in the 10" twist.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.