24 Caliber Options

Diago

I am just getting started with long range hunting for deer and praire dogs. What would you recomend for options in the 24 caliber line. I do handload also. What about factory made Guns in that caliber. I am considering a Ruger or Tika. Any advise would be appreciated.

Jim

.243 Ackley Improved is a real performer very
flat shooting and doesn't eat much powder!There are many choices to do many things,6/284,6/06 Ack Imp. .240 Wby.

I agree with Jerry.

My LR arm is a 257 and I consider it a bit light for deer. I prefer it as a LR antelope gun and varmint rig.

Wyoming deer are good sized but the 24 may well be excellent for the smaller species/races in other regions. I have no experience with the smaller deer.

My cartridge choice would also be the 243 AI or the 6mm Rem AI.

Good luck and welcome to the discipline.

Thanks for the advise, how about the 243 WSSM? Is there a web site I can get the ballistics for the weatherby mag, or the wildcats to compare them? What about a heavy(not varment) barel, are they any more accurate for hunting situations? I prefer the asthetics of a wood stock, but would get a synthetic if they are more accurate.

Thanks,

Jim

Diago, for me LR/deer and 6mm don't go together. You run out of oomph pretty quick.

If shots are kept inside 400yds on deer, then 243Win would be my first choice. 105gr Amax or SST would be my bullets of choice. There are certainly no shortage of factory rifles available.

If you are going wildcat, then 6-06, 243AI, 6mm Rem reg/AI would be excellent choices. Ranges should still be kept moderate, maybe 500yds if I could guarantee good shot placement.

For LR varminting, this combo would go as far as you can shoot. I am just a little conservative when it comes to deer, especially the ones we have up here in Canada. I would want more bullet weight and larger cal.

Jerry

On whitetail in Al. I have killed dozens with 55gr. Noslers out of my 6/06A.I. very similar ballistically to .240 Wby. I shoot a lot of moving targets and bullet placement is crucial but can be achieved!Laser trajectory doesn't hurt either. With Nosler Partitions I believe you could kill a deer from
out west or most places.BC is necessary for long range shooting so I guess the larger diameters would really be best.

If you handload, then I would suggest the 6mm remington. I agree it isn't a good idea for LR deer, but has an advantage over the .243, especially to the handloader, is not belted like the .240 weatherby, and is not a wildcat like the 6mm-06 or 6mm-284. Any of the above will make great LR varmint guns, and good close range deer guns with the right bullets. 6mm rem improved is something else to consider if you are having a gun built. There is also the question of rifle availability for a given caliber, but I will leave that to you to figure out. I think the .243 wssm is okay, but ammunition is expensive, and I don't care for the winchesters or brownings personally. Just because it is new doesn't mean it is better, but you have to decide that for yourself.
lots of 6mm's
6mm data
6mm ai page

I can't really comment on long range but as a general medium or smaller sized deer hunting and varmint rifle the 243 or 6mm is superlative.

Recoil is light, you generaly see the strike on the animal or at least the reaction to the shot. There is a heap of cheap and varied factory ammo (no match though) not to mention bullets.

I have a 24" sporter weight 6mm rem custom that I use out to 300m on our little roe deer with 90gr ballistic tips at 3,200fps. It is superlative. A 6mm rem with 90gr bullets is to all intents and purposes the ballistic equal of the 25-06 with 100gr bullets but with a lot less powder.

I also have a 22" Sako 243 that I shoot factory ammo in at present. Very little difference.

As a general rifle a standard Tikka 243 with a good scope and mounts would be excellent.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.