230gr berger used in Africa with success

RMHUNTER

Much debate has been done on using Berger's 230gr hybrid target as a hunting bullet and being a person that likes trying new things I decided to use this bullet on my African plains game safari after all what better place to test a bullet. I loaded the 230 in my 300Rum with 85.5 gr of H1000 at 2830 fps. I chose the 230gr hybrid bullet because it shot so well in my rifle most of the time 3 shots in one hole so I had confidence in it. Next I like Berger's performance on game and with this target bullet having .003 thicker jackets I was hoping on some extra penetration on Africa's thicker skinned game. My first animal was a gemsbok (Oryx) the shot was 150yds broadside I hit dead on right in the middle of the shoulder. The gemsbok jumped ran 100yd and fell dead. Upon inspecting the gemsbok we found that the bullet busted the shoulder entered the ribs making a 2" entrance sending bone and bullet fragments through the lung totally destroying the lungs. I felt that this was a great success especially since so many people told me that a target bullet would just pencil through and my PH was amazed as well. Next animal was a blesbok. The shot was 200yd broadside through the ribs with a 1" entrance 2" exit dead on the spot 100% pleased. Next was my blue wildebeest. He was 175yd behind some thick brush he turned as I shot the bullet entered top of his left hip and headed through a very full stomach then through the liver and lastly demolishing the bottom half of both lungs. Bad shot on my part but the bullet made up for it in penetration remember also that a wildebeest hide is about a ¼ " thick as well. Next was a huge zebra stallion 140yd ¼ toward me. The bullet hit just front of the shoulder he ran 50yd and fell. I was not around the skinning shed when they skinned the zebra but all the skinner said was "no lungs left not at all that's one good bullet." Next was a kudu at 150yd in tall cover I held high over the brush hit the spine sending bone fragment into the top lungs he fell in his tracks. Lastly was my wife's huge blue wildebeest at 200yd ¼ toward the bullet hit in front of the shoulder wiped out lungs and liver he ran 30yd and fell. I know there were no long range shots here but I have used this bullet on an elk at 700yd with the same results. All animals were taken with one shot. In my conclusion this bullet is one of the best hunting bullets out there for high speed 30 cal like the 300RUM, 300Weatherby and the 30-378. This bullet showed excellent penetration (ie.the wildebeest) and showed excellent expansion on small animals (blesbok) and large (wildebeest, zebra).

Glad to hear that you had good luck and success on your African big game hunt.

As for the hybrid performance I've experienced, it was a little erratic in magnum calibers for me. But I only used it on deer sized game. I used the 230 in .308 and 180 in 7mm. It seemed to me if I didn't hit some bone on the entry I had a hard time finding the game and there wasn't much expansion. If I got bone on the way in, it was enough to get the expansion started and I would get good results.

I suspect in a few years if the ammunition craze ever slows or Berger catches up you will see the "Elite Hunter" line populate down through all the caliber offerings and all weights. It's essentially the hybrid design with the thinner "hunting" jacket. Similar comparisons to the target vld vs hunting vld. The merit is there, better BC for the same weight class bullet that is less sensitive to seating depth. Should be the ultimate hunting bullet. Currently only 338 shooters get to enjoy the advantage.

Eshorebwhntr
I think you are right if Berger can catch up we might see some expanded bullet models with the hybrid design. One of my main reason for using the hybrid design was because of its less sensitive seating depth. I think this is a important trat in hunting bullets since most hunting rifles don't have custom magazine allowing for longer over all length.

Thanks! Consider sending pictures to Terminal Ballistics Research ? They've been doing great work show casing different bullet's performance on game. I've been contemplating the VLD for my 300 win mag, still not 100% sure I want to use it but I might.

Hmmmm... This bullet is used by the US Army for their new XM2010 .300 Win mag sniper rifle cartridges. (Old Rem. M24 long actions were used.)

Saying it will expand on light-skinned game would make it illegal under the Geneva Convention, which is why we use FMJ bullets (at a minimum) for military rounds. Humans are also "light-skinned game".

I'm surprised this match bullet performs this way as other BTHP match bullets do not to my knowledge.

Great report and the same results I have seen with many animals taken with the OTM's. Everything from antelope to elk.

Also the same results in accuracy from your free bore RUM as I have seen in free bore RUM's and Weatherby's with these bullets.

Thanks
Jeff

Excellent reading and congratulations on a successful hunt. Thanks for the information, I have just started using the 230 hybrids in my RUM and having good luck so far on paper.

Hmmmm... This bullet is used by the US Army for their new XM2010 .300 Win mag sniper rifle cartridges. (Old Rem. M24 long actions were used.)

Saying it will expand on light-skinned game would make it illegal under the Geneva Convention, which is why we use FMJ bullets (at a minimum) for military rounds. Humans are also "light-skinned game".

I'm surprised this match bullet performs this way as other BTHP match bullets do not to my knowledge.

Please read this, maybe a couple times!! Sniper Use of Open-Tip Ammunition

For the guys using this bullet in 300 RUM's, what is your overall cartridge length?

I didn't read the link but the bullet designed for the 300WM is a different bullet than the one being discussed.

Edd, I provided a link to Litehiker to show the military use of a bullet has no bearing on it's terminal performance on game nor should one be surprised that a bullet that the military uses would also function on game, no mater if it's a SMK, Target or OTM.
The difference between the Target and OTM won't be seen on game, you may have the OTM go through a mag a little better but they are the same jacket thickness and function the same on game, AWESOME!!!

For the guys using this bullet in 300 RUM's, what is your overall cartridge length?

3.670" using Retumbo
3.905" using RL-33

RL-33 produced significantly higher velocity over Retumbo with same precision. The downside to RL-33 was the bullet needed to be seated near the lands to produce low ES. The ES increased with bullet jump. Using RL-33 at the listed OAL my rifle is single shot.