Hunting with Berger 230gr Targets

500mag_guy

I've worked up a awesome load in my 300 rum with the Berger 230gr targets with plans of hunting elk and deer with them. I am concerned that it being a target bullet that it may blow up. What are your thoughts on this subject??

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Of course they will blow up, thats what their designed to do. Penetrate into vitals and dump all energy in the animal. Your lookin for a rib shot right behind the front shoulder.gun):) put her in the boiler room and pack the freezer. However hit that bone ya may lose some meat. The bullet performs, if ya do your part.

Last edited:
I think you should be fine, I have them loaded up for my WM. since I could not get my hands on any 215's. Went to these on the advice of Bob Beck he told me he used the same combo your using to kill every animal on their show last year. I have not got a chance to try em yet but they are shooting well out to 1000. Good luck.

We have killed many elk with the 230 OTM from a 300 win with MV of 2775. I don't ever remember one that didn't exit. The last was like 180 yards and the exit was 1 1/4 to 1 1/2". The 230 target is to have a thicker jacket so I would expect even less expansion. We have drove them through shoulders at long distances but onlt because my wind call was off. We always shoot for the crease tight behind the shoulder. This hold gives a much wider kill zone for windage variance. If you get it in the vital zone, ideally tight behind the shoulder a little below center, it will be the fastest kill you can get with any bullet.

Not all bullets act the same in different calibers. The 230 / .308 bullets have been very good for us holding together than some smaller calibers or even the 215's in the 300's.

I guess what I want to say is there is not one set of rules that will tell how a bullet, of the same manufacturer, type, will act in all calibers and weights. One size does not fit all. After many kills with them I have very good confidence in the 230's.

Jeff

Jeff, I really appreciate your response! I know I have talked to you about this exact topic on many different occasions. My only concern was the jacket of the target bullet. I understand that every combination will perform differently. I guess what I was looking for was some reassurance that the target bullet would be suitable to use for a heart lung shot without pencilling threw or with a spine shot it wouldn't just blow up on impact as I read about this in a resent thread.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/moose-down-778m-121909/

I won't be changing my set up with less then a month till season opening. So I guess I'll be posting on its performance that I experience.

We have killed many elk with the 230 OTM from a 300 win with MV of 2775. I don't ever remember one that didn't exit. The last was like 180 yards and the exit was 1 1/4 to 1 1/2". The 230 target is to have a thicker jacket so I would expect even less expansion. We have drove them through shoulders at long distances but onlt because my wind call was off. We always shoot for the crease tight behind the shoulder. This hold gives a much wider kill zone for windage variance. If you get it in the vital zone, ideally tight behind the shoulder a little below center, it will be the fastest kill you can get with any bullet.

Not all bullets act the same in different calibers. The 230 / .308 bullets have been very good for us holding together than some smaller calibers or even the 215's in the 300's.

I guess what I want to say is there is not one set of rules that will tell how a bullet, of the same manufacturer, type, will act in all calibers and weights. One size does not fit all. After many kills with them I have very good confidence in the 230's.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.