Berger 30 cal 230gr

I did my first test today. 3000 fps from a custom 300 Ultra, 0.7" for 5 shots at 100 yards, 26" w/1:10 twist. That was only 5 I shot, but good start. I am at about 3500' elevation, temp was 65, and pressure was about 26.65.

I may have to try some of these in my 300RUM, I'm running the hybrids in my 338 already. Anybody have any on game testing with these? For this season Ill probably stick with the 208 amax in my RUM. I'm hoping somebody chimes in with some results of some long range kills. Does anybody know what minimum velocity might be for expansion?

I use 1800 fps as minimum impact velocity. Seems pretty standard for soft bullets. I currently hunt with the 210 Berger. It performed very well on two elk, one shot, pass through kills with good damage to lungs. Neither bull took more than a couple steps dead on his feet. Bigger should be better. My only kill with a 190 the bullet blew up. Lungs vaporized, too, so he dropped dead, but made me leery of hitting heavy muscle or bone. I'd guess impact velocity was 2500+- for those shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.