230 targets...hunting worthy

Doublezranch

As many of us thought when we saw Berger come out with a 230 target bullet, is it hunting worthy? Will it expand or just pencil through?

Well, I have some real life results on how they do on game. I shot this antelope somewhere around 200 yards. I shot it with a custom 300 rum. 230 targets over 101.3 grains of 33 going 3200. The goat was quartering heavily away. The bullet entered right behind the last rib, and exited right between the front shoulder and neck. She dropped right where she stood. The entrance was indeed a pencil, the exit was maybe 1 inch. I was interested what I would find when I opened her up. Here's what I found..

What's left of the heart

The insides where destroyed. All the energy was released inside the cavity of the animal. Considering antelope are thin skinned game, I was very happy with the 230's performance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 50
The 230 match target hybrid worked for two of us last fall on a cow elk hunt.

Friend's rifle a 300 WSM with the 230s 2720 fps 300 yd double lung. Exit was 1 1/2" cow staggered then fell over like a pushed over statue.

My 24" 300 RUM 230 with 100 gr RL-33 vel 2975. 250 yd high shoulder shot. DRT another 1 1/2" exit

pics of the shoulders

Sorry Jayson, Sunday was a crazy day and didnt get time for pictures of the exit on my goat. I 100% stand behind the 230gr targets and wont shoot anying else out of my custom rum.

My doe was at ~400 yards and moving, the entrance was a pencil hole and the exit consisted of a hole i could stick both of my fists inside with out issue. Lungs were a tick soupy mess.

Hope to run the 230gr targets through the boiler room on a bull elk come our opener, Oct. 25th. will definitely take pictures then.

Good luck on your upcoming elk hunt brotha. shoot straight and please pass the message onto dad and Zayne.

Eric

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts