230 gr berger target hybrid for hunting

coyotelite

The heaviest 30 cal berger hunting vld is a 210gr according to the site. The target hybrid comes in 215 and 230gr. If these heavier bullets perform better in my 300wby, Id like to hunt with them. How do these hybrid target bullets do for hunting?

Here read this and view terminal performance for yourself. Long Thread but there are terminal performance data and pics of 19 big game animals at all distances from the same rifle loaded with 215's.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

If you use the search box in the upper right corner there is another thread with terminal performance results from the 230 and 300 OTM's

Jeff

230gr berger target hybrid for hunting

hey broz,

the only reloading manual I have is the barnes but looking at speeds for a 200gr bullet with a 300 win mag they average about 2800 in the manual under max load. You posted speeds of 3000+ with a 215gr berger. does your custom build on the rifle make it faster? If I use your info, my 300wby with a 25" barrel with a 1 in 10 twist averaging 200fps faster than the win mag in the barnes manual, I could get 3100-3200fps with a 215gr berger hybrid. I am a novice so I'm sure I'm missing something here......Or am I???

What length barrel in the manual? Mine is a full 28". I would figure 20 to 25 fps per inch.

If you want to run the Weatherby I would run the 230 Berger. As I stated in the other post the 300 win velocities are a good match for a long range 300 win. If you want to run them faster then I recommend using a 230 instead of the 215.

Your Weatherby has freebore, as does the 300 RUM. Many see great accuracy and performance with the 230's in the RUM.

I am running a full max load with a full custom build, custom action, custom chamber reamer and broughton 5C 10 twist barrel. I am also using Lapua brass that is no longer available.

That said we had a 26" SMR 300 win in here a while back and we got over 2950 with it running 215's.

I thought you had your build narrowed down to a 300 win or a 338 EDGE? Are you changing your mind again?

Jeff

that was another guys thread. I have a winchester model 70 classic sporter in 300wby with a 25" 10 twist barrel. I want to work up some loads to see if it'll shoot MOA or better the way it is. If it does Im going to re-stock it with an HS Precision stock and leave it alone. If it doesnt I am going to have the action trued and re barrel it.

Sorry, my mistake. When you made reference to that thread I got confussed. Accept my opologies.

Grab a box of 230 Berger Target Hybrids and some H-1000 for that 300 wby. that is where I would start. And if it isn't braked I would get one.

Jeff

According to a Berger rep I spoke with on the phone last month they will have a 30 cal. 230 gr Elite Hunter available sometime this summer ,

the 30 cal. 215 gr Hybrid bullets are starting to appear on sites like Midway and Midsouth, just a matter of time and you can find them on your local dealers shelves,
the 210 gr Elite Hunters are a common sight in a Sportsmans Warehouse in my area... a good sign

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.