230 gr berger 300 ultra

new shooter

Is any one shooting the 230gr berger out of a 300 ultra ? If so would you give me some loading info ? I bought 200 of them i did not know they have a heaver jacket then the 210 berger. I hope they will still work on game at 1200yd ? Any info would be great. Thanks for your time. Joe

I just started testing the 230 Berger's out of my 300 RUM using H1000.
I started at 83grs and have gone up to 85grs without any pressure signs.
10-3 shot groups shot prone off a bipod using a rear bean bag averaged .545 moa at distances of 300, 546 and 600 yds.

They are a very long bullet, I can't seat them to fit the magazine so I have them just off the lands for now, COAL is right at 4".

I will send some over the chronograph tomorrow along with shooting them at 1K.

Hope this helps some.

Wayne aka WAMBO

Just got back from the range, was a great day for shooting groups!
Shot 4-3 shot groups at 1000yds, again prone off a bipod with a rear bean bag.
Groups averaged .343 moa, largest was 5.3125", smallest 1.875".
Average speed was only 2891 fps with 84grs and 2904 fps with 85grs.
I have not experienced any pressure signs yet and I would like to get closer to 3000 fps but in the past when I load it up hotter the primer pockets loosen up quickly so I might just leave it where it's at and enjoy the accuracy along with extended brass life.
I think Berger hit a home run with the 30 cal 230gr Hybrid, it will replace the 240 gr SMK in my 300 RUM.

Wayne aka WAMBO

Has any one tried retumbo? What is faster H-1000 OR Retumbo ? My 300 ultra has a sort throat the lands ar 3.714. Can i have a gun smith make the chamber out to 4'' so i can get more powder in the case ? I have not got my dies yet so don't know how much powder i will get in it.

Retumbo is slower then H1000, I have not tried it yet.
I will be trying it down the road as I do believe that you can get more speed with Retumbo but I have more H1000 on hand so I wanted to use it instead.
I'm sure your smith could increase your freebore but I'd shoot the rifle as is before having him do that.

Just got back from the range, was a great day for shooting groups!
Shot 4-3 shot groups at 1000yds, again prone off a bipod with a rear bean bag.
Groups averaged .343 moa, largest was 5.3125", smallest 1.875".
Average speed was only 2891 fps with 84grs and 2904 fps with 85grs.
I have not experienced any pressure signs yet and I would like to get closer to 3000 fps but in the past when I load it up hotter the primer pockets loosen up quickly so I might just leave it where it's at and enjoy the accuracy along with extended brass life.
I think Berger hit a home run with the 30 cal 230gr Hybrid, it will replace the 240 gr SMK in my 300 RUM.

Wayne aka WAMBO

Curious to what length and twist the barrel is? I've got some on the way.

Im using the 230 berger in my wildcat. It is similar to a 300 rum but made from fire forming 7stw brass. Im loading with 84 grs of H1000 and a col of 3.700". Validated velocity is 3010. My first group shot at 100 yards prone with a bipod and bag was .087". The next day i shot 3 more groups to double check the load with results under .25" each time. After a few days of field shooting to validate i was ready for the season. Ironically my deer and elk we killed under 150 yards this year so i can't verify long range performance on game. However, it did very well, dropping a large cow in her tracks without hitting major bone structure.

Last weekend i used them to take 2nd at the sportsmans challenge 500-1000 yards. My hunting partners took first, tie for second, and third using 338 rum and 338 edge and the 300 mtch king. the bc is right there with the 300 gr. 338!

overall i couldn't be happier with the 230. berger did a great job with this one.

My 230 Berger Hybrid load is 86 gr of H1000 @ 3060fps w/ 5 vs. Very accurate, under .150 MOA from 100 to 1000 yards.

Rifle = 300 RUM, 30" tube on a trued Remmy.....

trebark,

I was using the 208 amax with my wildcat too. It did very well at all ranges and had no problems dispatching deer. I only moved to the berger 230 because my group sized with the amax were consistently .33 and with the berger it is .25 or less. I have no complaints about either, and I highly recommend both. My rifle just likes one more than the other.

Based on velocities and BCs (amax .648 - berger .743) the berger surpasses the amax at about 500yds with what I was getting. I wasn't sure how much speed I would get with the berger, but after validation I was surprised it didn't drop much from the amax.

What velocity are you getting with the amax?

My rifles runs the 208amax at 3150fps. I compared the exterior ballistics of this load to the 230berger going 3000fps (a best guess estimate).

Using the same BC data that you have, my evaluation is based on windage and not elevation. (this is because the rifle is designed for longrange hunting where I will always have a range finder and will be able to dial for the distance. As a result, differences in elevation are fairly irrelevant). The berger does shoot flatter than the amax at 500 and beyond. But in terms of wind drift, there is very little variation until 1500yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.