225 ELDM TESTED 30/375 S.I.

This is a cutout off the base if the 300 win fireformed. Keep in mind this is formed to 375
94DCAE0C-065D-4280-982D-4D257AA70C1A.jpeg
CA7561EC-FF2D-468A-87A0-5D0B400977AC.jpeg
this is (top/bottom) 375 ruger, fireformed 300win, original 300win
F6570396-9714-464D-A6A5-4F1F6EB03043.jpeg
zoomed in on case head of fireformed
0D2261D9-C863-413B-A763-7D75FDC8FFAB.jpeg

Nosler is making brass for the Ruger. Has anyone tried it? My experience with other nosler brass is that it is pretty soft but it might be better than Hornady? You guys try it and let me know:D

D3CC967E-3ECC-4C16-B6E6-4CEC36DD7241.jpeg
I made a test round with a 215 berger and retumbo. Not sure if i want to shoot it though. I made it just to see the steps. I ran the 300win through a 338 rcm die and it pushed the shoulder back nice and created a little bulge at the body/shoulder junction. I then ran it through my sizer die and seated the bullet with lots of jam to push the casing against the bolt face.

Seems really easy this far. But i just dont know if im willing to fire it haha.

View attachment 85780 I made a test round with a 215 berger and retumbo. Not sure if i want to shoot it though. I made it just to see the steps. I ran the 300win through a 338 rcm die and it pushed the shoulder back nice and created a little bulge at the body/shoulder junction. I then ran it through my sizer die and seated the bullet with lots of jam to push the casing against the bolt face.

I'm calling hazmat!!:D

The jagged expansion up the case and forming that little step in diameter (top side of first photo) was from cutting it open or just some weird angle due to the round case I hope... Doesn't look good for case longevity

To be clear those are not my photos. I found then on a different site and just thought it was interesting. I have a few hundred hornady casings and will be using those. Hopefully if i bug someone enough they might make brass. Even if it was like the basic brass would be good enough for me.

View attachment 85780 I made a test round with a 215 berger and retumbo. Not sure if i want to shoot it though. I made it just to see the steps. I ran the 300win through a 338 rcm die and it pushed the shoulder back nice and created a little bulge at the body/shoulder junction. I then ran it through my sizer die and seated the bullet with lots of jam to push the casing against the bolt face.

How much retumbo? I would use about 75 grains.

Well curiosity killed the cat. But it didnt do any killing i guess. Heres what it looks like all shined up. Fireforming was really easy and mild with retumbo. Brass looks and measures good. This is a loaded dummy round for picture sake. Looks terrible but hey, when im outta hornady brass this might be a different route to go.

**Please dont take what im doing here and attempt it because i dont want to be the cause of something bad that could always come with reloading.
97BD2213-E1DD-4749-9037-28D9008E4040.jpeg
11FD768E-7EBF-424D-850B-489B7B86FE37.jpeg

What does the brass measure ahead of the belt? I guess there would always be a transition there no matter how many times you fired it

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.