30/375 s.i. Reduced load vs deer

elkaholic

Hi guys.....I wanted to try out a 208 SXR on some long range meat but didn't get a chance so I loaded up 22 grains of 4198 for a muzzle velocity of 1486' and shot a small whitetail buck at just under 100 yards. My plan was to shoot him front on and recover the bullet but he spotted me and took off so I shot him through the front of the shoulders. The impact velocity was probably barely under 1400'. As the pics show, not much meat was waisted but I knocked a 50 cent piece sized hole through the offside and put him right down. This would duplicate a 1550 yard impact. The aorta was blown off the top of the heart......Rich DSCF0239.jpg

DSCF0241.jpg

Hi guys.....I wanted to try out a 208 SXR on some long range meat but didn't get a chance so I loaded up 22 grains of 4198 for a muzzle velocity of 1486' and shot a small whitetail buck at just under 100 yards. My plan was to shoot him front on and recover the bullet but he spotted me and took off so I shot him through the front of the shoulders. The impact velocity was probably barely under 1400'. As the pics show, not much meat was waisted but I knocked a 50 cent piece sized hole through the offside and put him right down. This would duplicate a 1550 yard impact. The aorta was blown off the top of the heart......RichView attachment 15035

View attachment 15036
Wow thats impressive! They fragment at that velocity right?

Oh, i thought from your testing in water they fragmented at low velocity but act like a bonded at high velocity.

Wow thats impressive! They fragment at that velocity right?

Not really; just expand! Fragmentation is probably around 2500'. The first pic is actually the entry hole. If you look closely, you can see the exit which looks a little smaller. I think this was due to the rib explosion .....Rich

Ok, i was confused (obviously) :rolleyes:.

Not to worry. It will get worse as you get older!:D
This bullet will pretty much come unglued at above 2500', partially fragment between 2000-2500, and retain most of the weight below that with expansion down to 1300' or even lower.....Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.