220 Swift vs. 22-250 for varmints...Opinions Please

Never had a 220 swift, but a friend who is professional kangaroo harvester (he's shot well in excess of 100,000 animals) always had 22-250's, then switched to .243's, now has a 220 swift and absolutely swears by it. He gets good accuracy- has to shoot 'roos in the head at 2-300 yards out the side of his truck!
I recently got rid of my 22-250AI in favour of a 204Ruger, found the former too temperamental for my reloading efforts.

[ QUOTE ]
Ok Catshooter,
I'll bite; What's a 22 G&A?

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

.22-284 - was named after "Guns and Ammo" back when they were a decent magazine - reached 6,300 fps with 19gr Remington bullets - barrel was toast in less than 300 rounds.

I have a savage model 12 varminter in 22-250 and it shoot very well so far. I like the 22-250 it is a very easy cartrige to get to shoot good. I am shooting 55g balistic tips behind 36.2 grains of IMR 4064 and a CCI Benchrest primer at about 3750 FPS, and getting about 3/4 moa at 300 yards for 5 shots.

Ben

Davkrat-thanks-for-letting-catshooter-know-whats-going-on-with-my-space-bar.

Wildcat

I have an extra key board if you want it tell me where to send it. I'll-pay-the-shipping

Please

RH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif To answer the question before us here it is
I use 2 rifles for P-doggn I start with a 223 rem in a Tikka cont varm. stock as a rock and unbelievelby accurate I shoot sierras 50 bltz and 52 hpbt. The other is.......not other than a 220 swift semi-custom 1:8 3 grove. I have never owwned a 22-250 I have to many buddy's that do I load for them and I wouldn't trade the swift for any 22-250 no offence to the 22-250 crowd I just think the swift is faster more accurate by a small amount oh but we are talking about a little critter this would be a small amount right? Seriously the 22-250 is ok I just prefer the swift . I just had to digg a little HAHA. I do not see any excessive barrel wear.

RH

I own a Remington 700 sendaro in 22/250 and in my opinion its a great rifle i havent had any problems with it at all its very accurate and the one thing not alot of people dont take into consideration is this fact the only things remington about the rifle is the name the action and the bolt! The barrel and the stock are made my H.S Precision so you basicaly have an out of the box custome rifle that is very accurate!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I own a Remington 700 sendaro in 22/250 and in my opinion its a great rifle i havent had any problems with it at all its very accurate and the one thing not alot of people dont take into consideration is this fact the only things remington about the rifle is the name the action and the bolt! The barrel and the stock are made my H.S Precision so you basicaly have an out of the box custome rifle that is very accurate!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The barrels are not from H-S Precision - they are Remington barrels. It's a fine rifle (I have a Sendero-II), but it's not a custom rifle in a box.

my experience with 22-250 brass(250 savage was parent brass) is that they all were 2 to 3 Thou smaller than a standard?? .473 case head diameter.Oversized reamer used to cut chamber causes the problem.I have a 250 savage with same problem, so I use .243 brass reformed & shortened, problem solved. As for your case head seperations I think you had or have a headspace problem in the gun or with the reloading creating a headspace problem.

[ QUOTE ]
my experience with 22-250 brass(250 savage was parent brass) is that they all were 2 to 3 Thou smaller than a standard?? .473 case head diameter. Over sized reamer used to cut chamber causes the problem.I have a 250 savage with same problem, so I use .243 brass reformed & shortened, problem solved. As for your case head separations I think you had or have a headspace problem in the gun or with the reloading creating a headspace problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

OB...

When you made the 22-250 from 243, did you ever weigh the two cases, or measure the volume difference.

I have thought of making 22-250 from Lapua 243 cases for a 22-250 I have, that should shoot better than it does.

I own both and much prefer the 220 Swift over the 22-250. It just plain out shoots that 22-250. As previously stated it picks up where the 22-250 leaves off. Get the Swift you won't regret it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I agree with the Swift voters. I have a 220 Rocket (the old Weatherby 220 Swift Improved) with a modern barrel, and a 22-250 AI. The Swift is just less temperamental about loads she will group well.

I'm going to vote for the Swift too. I've got a 22-250 and a 220 Ackley. With either of these two rounds it's speed your after, otherwise you'd be looking a 223 or 22BR. So, that being said, the Swift is king.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts