6.5x284 vs .220 swift

bax20ter

Hey guys.. new guy here from SW PA. Not sure if this is the right forum to be in but i'll give it a go. I'm in the market for a new gun.. preferably a varmint/target rifle.

I have the opprotunity to pick up a 6.5x284. E.R. Shaw 26" heavy barrel, boyds laminate thumbhole stock, military mauser large ring action with timney trigger. The guy who is selling bought it off another gentlemen. He 'says' the barrel is brand new other than having a couple bullets shot through by the other guy to break it in. But thats all hear say... The stock needs finished and glass bedded still. 300$

I also have the opprotunity to pick up a brand new in box Remington 700 Varmint SF in .220 swift. Bare gun as shown on website for 580$

I have some 6.5 bullets currently but would need to purchase the dies and brass.

I currently own and reload for .223 and 22-250 so I'm very familar with the 22 cal and love those guns. I already own 220 swift dies as well.. which is a bonus. I would need to purchase brass as well.

I'm primarily a groundhog hunter/predator hunter. I would like to go to the next level with shooting. Sure seems like there are a lot of perks to both guns, I just can't make my mind up. I'm afraid the 6.5 isn't quite as fresh as he says it is, as I know they can be a barrel burner. The gentlemen who is selling hasnt taken a shot with it yet. Any input would greatly be appreciated. I've heard a few mentions on the 308 as well.. which I currently own a weatherby deer rifle. Own the dies and have brass and bullets... just pretty well torn. Any guys that own any of these please feel free to throw me your opinions or ideas, thanks!gun)

I guess it just depends on the range at which you wish to shoot. The 6.5 for varmints and yotes is not the gun I would grab from the safe first choice at all. I would grab my 204 or the swift instantly unless I was shooting beyond 500-600 yards. To me these two rifles are not even remotely in the same league. Don't get me wrong, I loved my swift, and I would own another in a heart beat. However, I would probably try and set my next one up for shooting heavier bullets then the 55's I was shooting.

Just a thought.

Anyway the 22's are fun, accurate, and recoil light. You can shoot a decent amount of ammo for less money and they are deadly on small critters and targets.

I think you need to grab your cleaning rod and tape measure and figure out which bullets both the Swift and 6.5-284 will twist. I own various 6.5s, including a 6.5-284 and have experience with barrels from 8-11 twist.

I built a .264 Win Mag with a Krieger 11 twist to shoot at coyotes at 400-500 yards in wheat and sage land.

I also own a .22-250 Ackley for which I look up Swift data to handload for. I have have built two of these with 13 twists. They max out with 55 or 60 gr Ballistic Tips.

The original Swifts were often 14 twist and will max at 55 gr varmint bullets and 500 yards will make them < 2000 fps in velocity. If they open, they will not be "explosive".

The 6.5-284 will kick like a mule in a 9 pound or less rifle without a brake. Forget about your sight picture down range. The 100 Ballistic tips are a big game bullet and will not open up on coyotes. I once shot through a male and female at 409 yards standing side by side with the 120 gr ballistic tip. Not much expansion. I regularly shoot the 85 gr Sierra as a reduced load for walk and stalk plinking at clay pigeons and milk bottles for big game practice. I load it to 2800 fps with 2/3 of a case of Accurate 5744. The 85 gr bullet shows noticeably milder recoil even up to 3800 fps compared to the 100gr, 107gr 120gr, 123gr or 130 gr bullets. It is more likely to expand but is not a long range varmint bullet because of low BC. Try VV N-550 or Reloader 17 to wind out the lighter bullets. You can get 3600 fps with a 24 inch barrel and 107 Lapuas or Sierras. Lots of recoil but no expansion. Barrel life will be brief. I use HBN and like to Nitrocarburize barrels. My next 6.5 will be the 6.5-06 Ackley 40 degrees because it has a longer neck. The 6.5-284 has a short neck and will leave you wanting.

All I can do is tell what my experience I shoot a 22-250 A.I. with a 1-8 twist for heavier bullets, 75 and 80 grain and shoot out past 600. I I was going to shoot under 600 I have a couple of 223 that work just fine and have almost double the barrel life of the 22-250. I also have a couple of 6.5x55 improved as well and shoot 130gr AND 140GR out to 1000 yards on targets and 600 yards on deer and took an Elk this year at a little over 400 yards.The 6.5x55 improved is every bit an equal or better to a 6.5-284.
I don't think there is a one gun fits all kind of gun. My 223 is a great varmint gun for smaller game and shooting when 100 rounds plus in a day is common and a good 223 can own the ground out to 600 yards. I have two of them one is 1;9 and my latest one is a custom long range 1:8 twist built for F T/R class shooting. My 22-250 is great for coyotes and I have taken several past 600 yards. I have to say I don't see much place for a 6.5 shooting bullets under 100gr. With the smaller bullets they lose there edge in B.C. that makes them so good for long range shooting. With the smaller bullets there is nothing my 6.5 will do that my 22-250 with 80gr vlds and Amax wont do as well or better.

I am with north of 53 on that whole response. My thinking was to set up the 250 or swift for the heavier bullet and bc for the shorter ranges such as 600 or less. I will do that next time with a 22-250 AI or swift and the 75/80 gr bullets. My 6.5 x 284 is putting 140 vlds down range at 2970 fps and it not something I want to put 100 rounds through each time out unless you just want to shoot longer ranges than the 22's are good for.

Another option is to look at the 6.5x47 and 120 gr bullets. Seems like a nice set up with 40gr of powder and close to 3000 fps.

The 700 Swift you could buy is probably a 14 twist. So it's good to 400-500 yards. But you have guns like that already.

The 6.5 is more likely a fast twist set up for heavier bullets. I'd see it as a 500-1,000 yd groundhog gun if it is twisted for the high BC bullets. That would take you to the next level. But you'd need all the things that go into long range: range finder, scope set up for clicking in range and windage, wind meter, and a ballistics program to calculate clicks in the field.

If pushed to buy either, I'd go with the .220 Swift.. Few reason's here, (1) I'm not a Mauser fan (2) not a ER Shaw barrel fan (3) no way to quantify actual rounds through barrel. (4) Remington 700 is brand new (5) it's a great deal (6) you should be able to get your money back, plus some, if you decide to sell it later on.
With all that said, I own a 6.5-284 and love it but IMO it shines with heavy bullets (120-142gn) which have high BC's for shooting 500yds and beyond. Great for bigger game.
Just an FYI, today at lunch in a local gunshop I found two Remington 700's SF, one a Sendero in .300 RUM, the other a VS in .223. Price tag's were $1175.00 and $1149.00, respectively. That Swift is a great deal! JohnnyK.

North of 53

I am only just North of 47. I wish I had your opportunities to hunt. I am building a .22-6.5X47 with an 8 twist. I am waiting for Krieger to make the barrel. I like their deep 10 groove fluting compared to other makers. The point of this chambering it to have a small rifle primer behind about 40 gr of powder. Slightly less than the .22-250 AI. I will sacrifice my .22-250 Ackley die to make the size die for this one. I will use the reamer to build a Wilson seater.

What powder and primer configuration are you using with 75 and 80 gr VLDs in the .22-250 AI? What are your velocities? I have never had a .22 centerfire that would twist the heavier bullets.

I like the 6.5 Swed Improved cartridge because it has a longer neck than the .260 Remington. How much of which powders are you using? Give me some idea of the volume. My guess is that the neck length and volume make it very close to the 6.5 Creedmore. I still think that the 6.5-284 will beat by a lot. I get 3280 (instrumental) comfortably from 58 gr of VV N-560 with the 130 Accubond 26 inch barrel. That is right at 3300 at the muzzle.

65wsm

First off lets get all the disclaimers out of the way. The loads I list here are ones that I have used and I make no claims that they will be safe in any other gun.
I use CCI B2 primers with 42 grs RL19 with WIN brass, 80 gr A-Max and get 3300 ft/sec with my 22-250. I use the same load with 75 A-Max and run just under 3400 ft/sec.
The most accurate load I have found is 42 gr RL22 under a berger 80.5 gr running just under 3200 ft/sec.
The 80gr A-Max is the one my wife uses on deer, and yes we can use a 22 cal on deer here. The 80 gr A-max hits very hard out to 400 yards with this load and with a muzzle brake on it she does not even feel it. I know there can be lots said about the good or bad of a muzzle brake but my wife likes it when she shoots. So all I can say to those that don't like muzzle brakes is "happy wife , happy life" so I will keep the brake on.

For my 6.5 improved I run 130s at 2950 ft/sec over 52 gr of n165 for hunting out of a 20" barrel and for F class I run 140 JLKs at just over 3000 ft/sec over 52.8 gr of n165. I can go a little faster but can't reach the next accuracy node so I stay around 3000 ft/sec.

If you go with the swift, give me the guys name and address , because i would like to have the mauser for 300.00gun). chris
Glad I wasn't the only one LOL. If stock and action are up to specs, a new barrel opens up all kinds of possibilities.

JohnnyK- please check your pm's . Thanks

slobow

If pushed to buy either, I'd go with the .220 Swift.. Few reason's here, (1) I'm not a Mauser fan (2) not a ER Shaw barrel fan (3) no way to quantify actual rounds through barrel. (4) Remington 700 is brand new (5) it's a great deal (6) you should be able to get your money back, plus some, if you decide to sell it later on.
With all that said, I own a 6.5-284 and love it but IMO it shines with heavy bullets (120-142gn) which have high BC's for shooting 500yds and beyond. Great for bigger game.
Just an FYI, today at lunch in a local gunshop I found two Remington 700's SF, one a Sendero in .300 RUM, the other a VS in .223. Price tag's were $1175.00 and $1149.00, respectively. That Swift is a great deal! JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.