22 Rimfire Longe Range Rifles

Terry Scott

Ok,
I hate to admit it but I'm coming down with the idea that I might need a super accurate .22 Rimfire (LR) to do some long range practice, along with trying to kill a few squirrels out here in Nevada.
I have seen a fer 22 bench rifles, but I am almost afraid to ask...Where? How Much? and who has some experience here???

I have a fantastic Winchester mod 75 that I shoot at 100 to 128 yds and it's very acurate! My gun was made in 1929. 28" heavy barrel. Dead acurate! Like most of my guns they shoot better than I can.

I had good luck with my ruger 10/22 with a butler creek barrel on it. It shot minute of game really well between 25-100 yards. Accuracy wise my cz was amazing to say the least and I shot a number of sub moa groups 100-175 yards with the irons. However the best shooting gun I have ever owned was a marlin 917 17hmr that I could cover my 300 yard groups with a quarter, the whole rig cost me 350 for gun scope Harris and three mags.

Savage Mark II TR. Simply Awesome for the money. I paid 350 ish for mine and put a SS 20X scope on it and have a blast with it as I wait for my centerfires to cool between strings.

And CZ also sells nice 22 and you can now get itr with McMillan stock. But it is pricier than Savage with that option.

Savage, CZ, Ruger and Marlin all make some very accurate 22's that won't break the bank. I bought my Savage Mark II thumbhole used on Gunbroker with scope + mounts for a very good price. Even better it was a short drive away so I saved on shipping and FFL fees. :)

You don't have to spend benchrest rifle prices to get a very accurate 22 rifle.

I've got a couple of Cooper rimfire rifles. They both shoot target grade accuracy out of the box. They even make a .22 bench rifle. Check out their web site.
Another really useful tool I use on both my .22 and .17 HMR are Pride Fowler scopes with ballistic reticles for these rounds. I've shot small squirrely type varmints out to 168 yards with the .22, and just over 270 yards with the .17 and this reticle. Impressive clarity and resolution to boot.

I shoot my rem 40-X in a McMillan A-5 with a mark 4 and Jewell trigger out to 350 with pretty good results. Fruit it's fun cheap and really pushes your wind reading skills

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.