winchester longe range rifle...long

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by cdixon, Nov 11, 2002.

1. cdixon

cdixon Member

i have been shooting a win laredo in 7mmrem mag. it shoots ok with the light bullets, but not very good with the heavy bullets. i am thinking about putting a new barrel, and getting the action trued. is this a good route to go, to start in long range? i know a remington action would probably be better, but i have a winchester now. would you stay with the 7mm, or go to another caliber. sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance

2. Ian M

Ian M Well-Known Member

Your rifle can become the basis for as good a long range rig as with any other factory action, just do what you plan on doing and don't worry that it does not have Remington stamped on it.
    I find Win. 70's much easier to place cartridges into and they are extremely reliable. They have been the basis for a lot of very accurate LR rifles - matter of fact the M-70 dominated Camp Perry for many years.
    I regularly shoot an identical rifle (Laredo) that was trued, rebedded and has a Lilja barrel installed - it has shot five rounds into 1.6" at 500 yards (that is certainly not its average but one of the best groups I have shot to date). Don't forget to get it skim-bedded so that the action fits perfectly in the aluminum bedding block.

3. Charles A

Charles A Well-Known Member

Hey, if either of you want to sell those M70 Lorado's. Let me know. I have been looking for one a long time.

I AM THE INFANTRY,FOLLOW ME...HOOAH!!!

4. cdixon

cdixon Member

hey charles, thanks for the offer, but i think ill keep mine for a while.
    would a 7mm rem mag with 168 sierras be a good deer rifle out to 1000 yds? is their a caliber that will do this better without alot of modification to my action? thanks

5. Boyd Heaton

Boyd Heaton Well-Known Member

7Stw or a 7Ultra are two that come to mind...