Custom Long Range rifles

DougDownRange

Just looking for what others people think about Lane Precision Rifles, McWhorter rifles, Snowy Mountain?? Or do you guys like other smiths? I like Lane Precision but don't know much about them...Inputs Please,

Thanks,

Doug

McWhorters are in a class of their own. They are not only incredibly accurate rifles, each one is a work of art.

I've handled and/or shot several of the SMR's, pure functionality of purpose and very well made but generally not works of art, they are rifles meant to be carried and used. Their muzzle brake is one of the best on the market and I have it on my Winchester M70 sharpshooter.

Can't tell you anything about the Lane, have not handled or shot one.

I have shot McWhorter rifles and they do shoot, however I think for what you get you can get as good or better for less money. This is why I went with Lane Precision Rifles.

Dallas makes a great rifle that looks and shoots as good as anything out there. He is also a great guy to work with and will always answer your questions, calls, text and emails. Believe me, I know since I have contacted him many times.

Am I pleased with his products? I guess so since I am on my second build and will be having a third this spring.

Would like to have one built by Shawn Carlock (have one in mind for him and his new action)

Would like to have one done by Kirby Allan but the wait would kill me.

Jon Beanland will most likely build my next and, and so on. I don't have a good reason to go elswhere.

I have a mcwhorter and my buddy has 2. Love them. Nice guns. Would sell mine if u wanted it just to buy something a bit smaller.
They are pricey but as rose says. Nice piece if art

I use mine to hunt too!!

I have had work done by LPR, and I have nothing but good things to say about the service. He does good work and the turnaround time has been very good for all of my projects.
No experience with the others.

My Gunsmith has built me many guns and he charges what I think are middle upper prices but his turn around is the best and I have always been more than 100% happy with all his work. Only reason I can see in paying over $4000 for a custom is if you are in a jam and need a gun right away.

Snowy Mtn Rifles has come along way I see almost everyone off the press and do load work for a ton of them ans haven't had one that wouldn't shoot yet.

Jordan@406

Snowy Mtn Rifles has come along way I get to see almost every rifle off the press and do load development for slot of them.
haven't had one that wouldn't shoot yet?

Jordan@406

Buy your own components and take them to any competent gunsmith and you can have a custom rig that hammers for under 2500$ any day all day. No sense in paying for a package deal as seen on tv. Find a guy that can drill a straight hole and is not in a hurry to crank out as many rifles as possible and send him your parts.

That's a well known fact that if you gather all your own parts then take them to a good smith he can put it all together and you will have a great shooting rifle with a little insight to shooting more accurately than ever. If you decide you want to do this there's a lot of info on building it on this site and accurate shooter. Good glass is a must for long range shooting. Jewell trigger and trued or custom action with a custom barrel and chamber job will go far above your expectations than the assembly line rifle builders.. Find a smith that does shoot in shooting matches and he will know how to set up a rifle to shoot, A lot of guys just build but don't take the time for real field experience.

That's a well known fact that if you gather all your own parts then take them to a good smith he can put it all together and you will have a great shooting rifle with a little insight to shooting more accurately than ever. If you decide you want to do this there's a lot of info on building it on this site and accurate shooter. Good glass is a must for long range shooting. Jewell trigger and trued or custom action with a custom barrel and chamber job will go far above your expectations than the assembly line rifle builders.. Find a smith that does shoot in shooting matches and he will know how to set up a rifle to shoot, A lot of guys just build but don't take the time for real field experience.
For about 800.00-900.00 Krieger, Benchmark, and several others will true your action and install a custom barrel.

Add to that a nice custom stock from Precision Stockworks, McMillian, Manners etc and take it to any decent gunsmith to fit, float, bed, and mount the two together and for under 2,500.00 You can have a really nice custom/semi custom rig that should perform very well.

Of course wait time will be substantially longer than buying one of Len's ready to go, ready to shoot, guranteed to perform customs through the LRH store but both are going to be shorter wait time wise than going the full custom route.

Just looking for what others people think about Lane Precision Rifles, McWhorter rifles, Snowy Mountain?? Or do you guys like other smiths? I like Lane Precision but don't know much about them...Inputs Please,

Thanks,

Doug

i just ordered my first from Dallas. Its a long range hunter in 300 WM. I have researched custom rifles on and off for three years. In the mean time I bought a HS Precision and a Dakota. I still had the itch to build one my way from the ground up. I talked to several gunsmiths. I couldn't get over the fact that Dallas will do all the load work up with NO extra charge. He even provides the components. So when he is ready I send him my Nightforce and he mounts , loads and verifies out to 1000 yards. Then you get the load data. I am confidant i saved money over any other well known builders that builds a similar rifle. just saying....

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts