.22 MAG too small for coyotes???

The only coyote that I ever shot with a 22 mag was at night and about 30yds from my position. I put it right down with a CCI 40gr HP. Some states restrict the use of centerfire or buck shot when hunting yotes at night. I trully believe that is you use the right bullet (I would opt for the CCi 40gr Game Pojnt), set up right, and keep your shot at 125yds and under, you will drop dogs. I would not use a 22 mag for day calling in my area unless I was in the woods. Flat land Coyotes like to hang up way out there.

If you can get the Coyote inside 50 yards, the .22 Mag will do the job if you do your part.

When living in New Mexico, I've shot them with a .22LR when they came to raid my chicken coops. Most only went 15 to 20 yards if they ran at all. Never had one get away. For years I used a .223 or a 22-250 when calling during the day. A 12ga when calling at night.

Now I live in Alaska, and often have Wolves answer the calls as well as Coyotes. Sometimes even a Bear. I now use a 25-06, with a 110gr Nosler Accubond, in front of 56gr of Retumbo powder. Effective range 700 yards. A bit overkill for Yotes up close, but needed for the Wolves. Please don't shoot a Fox with that combo, there won't enough to skin.

"Great shot....and in my opinion a completely ethical attempt, and result, and extremely lucky."

Answer to your question: He was using ammo where he only had to hold 6' high, instead of 8' with that caliber and open sights, LOL!

and I'm sure with the right shot placement a 243 will kill an elk most of the time, but you are talking perfect shot placement,.

I would bet my house vs a donut, that a 243 will be more effective on an elk at 500 yards than a 22 mag will be on a coyote at 500 yards.
I've heard of Elephants killed by a .44 magnum.
EXTREME EXAMPLES ...
just sticking your 22 mag out the back door for a perfect side.heart shot on a coyote that is looking at ur chicken pen isn't normal.
Normal field conditions are a walking coyote, sometimes it is 50 yards, sometimes 150 yards, sometimes it sits still enough and you have to hurry and get a quick shot at 100 yards and shooting from a sit down position with shooting stix is not as sturdy as prone or a bench rest.

my ftriend and his buddy who hunt have a 50/50 success rate with the 22 mag, im sure some of the failed to bog ones was not so perfect shotsm, but that is real life, flip a quarter, heads or taisl?

Personally I like better than a 50/50 chance. if I have the choice a 223 and up is more than 90% @ 100 yards or less, does not have to be a perfect heart or brain shot.a 22-250, 243 or 25-06 add to the chances.

Dont get me wrong here, if all I had was a 22lr or mag and a coyote shows it self, I'm taking the shot if it is closer than 50 yards.

scottyd2506---I hope you are not taking that post of mine that you quoted out of context. I did not make that first line statement. It was a quote from another member that I disagreed with and thus the statement I made regarding where the guy was holding to hit that yote at that far out distance. I cannot see using a 22 mag unless it's a very close shot and that's all you have with you. Give me my 22 Hornet, .243, or 25-06 and it's a different story from 200 yards on out to 3 or 4 times that far if I can get set up properly with a decent rest. I like a gun like my .243 Sako on yotes that will put everything in one hole like this 9 shot group, 8 of which can be covered with a dime.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 124
My experience with the .22 magnum is limited to but one coyote, head shot at about 75 yards with a Winchester 40 gr. HP out of a Ruger 77/22 mag. It dropped like a rock.

I have read a lot of stories on other forums of guys using the .22 mag for coyotes. Most reports have been positive. I'm sure it's like most any shot any of us make, it depends on shot placement, bullet etc.

This particular coyote was a target of opportunity and I didn't deliberately go after it with the .22 mag. I have more suitable calibers available, so I use centerfires for coyote hunting. If due to regulation, I would use a .22 mag, but would just chose my shots carefully.

Here's a photo.

coyote22maglargerphoto.jpg

Guys shooting coyotes with a 22 mag and telling of their success is sort of like gamblers that tell you how much they won last night, but don't tell you how much they lost the previous 4 times out, LOL!

I have seen pretty incredible performance out to 125 yards. Have watched a hunting buddy pop a few with 30 grain TNT's and have yet to see a runner, much less one get away. Personally I have only used it up to fox, but have not lost an animal either.

Nice dog and nice rifle, 6mm06.

i have a .300 win mag and a 22 mag and i wasnt sure if the 300wm is too big or if the 22mag is too small...what can you do with a coyote carcass?? food?? slippers ?? tail souvenir or what? very new to coyote hunting and decided i wanna try it out..plus my uncle has a pest coyote problem thats trying to attack his dogs lol..so i got a spot..now just need a gun...ANY ADVICE????

Out to 80-120 yards the 22 mag's are just fine. I have killed several, many years ago with a Ruger 77/22 mag and 40gr CCI HP's. They work just fine and penetrate a bit deeper than the newer 30gr bullets.

Sold the rifle to a co-pilot I flew with several times at the airline and he still uses it in the Wisconsin woods for shots on fox, coyotes and other vermin after all these years. On his farm, a long shot is 100 yards with a max of about 130 or so. Saw him last spring and he told me he is still shooting that rifle to this day with a Burris 4x mini-scope on it.

Guys shooting coyotes with a 22 mag and telling of their success is sort of like gamblers that tell you how much they won last night, but don't tell you how much they lost the previous 4 times out, LOL!

Exactly, You know even heavy hitting varmint calibers like the 22-250, 243 and 25-06 do have failures sometimes, even with Vmax, TNT and Ballistic tips sometimes!!! not often.
. I have heard of a guy shot one with a Amax and it ran 20 yards with all it's blood gone..or blowed out... Yet we hear the stories of a billion times out of a billion the 22 mag is absolute death on Coyotes 150 yards or less.
The stores of elk killed with the243.. one guy kills one at 500 yards with one shot and then everyone thinks it's 100% under 500 yards.

The 22 mag story on hear of 550 yards is a little stretching it. I man at 550 yards a pellet gun has more power at 20 yards. I'm sure a well placed 22 cal pellet gun is also enough for coyotes if shot under 30 yards and a well placed shot..

I am not saying no one has killed them with the 22 mag, but from people I know that have shot them with it is 50/50 in real life! with many hunts!

I'm sure if all the coyotes was shot in the head or heart it would be 100%.
any shot that is not absolutely perfect and the dog runs for 20 miles.

where a 22-250 with a 53 grain vmax, you can hit it anywhere and the shock from the velocity will turn it's insides to gelatin.

Another answer to the question...nope 22 mag is just fine at reasonable distances. The one below was DRT, didn't even twitch, at 83 yards. Using Hornady Critical Defense 45g 22 mag ammo again. Remington HB 597 with Redfield 3-9 Scope. For you guys dissing the 22 mag, I've not lost one yet. I don't take low percentage shots.

Attachments

• 22mag coyote.jpg
    22mag coyote.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 155
Another answer to the question...nope 22 mag is just fine at reasonable distances. The one below was DRT, didn't even twitch, at 83 yards. Using Hornady Critical Defense 45g 22 mag ammo again. Remington HB 597 with Redfield 3-9 Scope.

Excellent, nothing like that kind of answer!! My favorite Mt lion cartridge is a 22 mag and I've taken a couple with a 22lr, I use a 22lr on every coyote stand for coyotes that come in to fast and close and they seem to be dead when I go pick them up :rolleyes:

Question for the last two posters that are saying those small calibers are resulting in DRT. Where were they hit? If you say in the body, I will have to say BS most of the time!!! I guess my main question is why don't people move up to a decent centerfire caliber for coyotes if they are going after them unless it's for lack of money and the caliber is cheap to shoot, or you're in an area where a centerfire isn't legal? Even a 22 Hornet is fairly cheap to shoot and is well above the 22 mag for wacking yotes!!

Question for the last two posters that are saying those small calibers are resulting in DRT. Where were they hit? If you say in the body, I will have to say BS most of the time!!! I guess my main question is why don't people move up to a decent centerfire caliber for coyotes if they are going after them unless it's for lack of money and the caliber is cheap to shoot, or you're in an area where a centerfire isn't legal? Even a 22 Hornet is fairly cheap to shoot and is well above the 22 mag for wacking yotes!!

The yote I shot tonight, photo above, was hit low in the boiler room, I assume heart shot, and she dropped right there. End of story. If you don't believe it then there's absolutely nothing I can do to prove it. I'll try to video the next one so you can see what good shot placement is/does.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.