.22 MAG too small for coyotes???

I said MOST OF THE TIME!!! You mentioned you don't take questionable shots, but how many people do? That's where I have a problem with most people using them for yotes. I've got a 22LR, 22 mag, 22 Hornet, .243, and a 25-06 and don't even think of going lower than the Hornet when going for yotes.

Sorry here too, as I was not talking about just that one in your picture but to overall percentages of ones that are hit in the body and are DRT and that's why I said most of the time.

I guess my main question is why don't people move up to a decent centerfire caliber for coyotes if they are going after them unless it's for lack of money and the caliber is cheap to shoot, or you're in an area where a centerfire isn't legal? Even a 22 Hornet is fairly cheap to shoot and is well above the 22 mag for wacking yotes!!

One of the reasons I shoot the 22 mag for everything up to yote size is that it is very cheap to shoot and i'm not a fan of recoil. With my heavy barrel semi-auto being so heavy the rifle barely moves when i squeeze the trigger. I also like the fact that it is relatively quiet. At only about 20-25 cents a round I love shooting up lots of 22 mag ammo. it is my favorite rifle for the truck and carrying while scouting. When I know I may have shots beyond 150 yards I normally have my ARP 5.56 AR with me.

I usually shoot a coyote with a 22lr while a 22-250 or 270 WSM is in my lap so larger options are at hand. I shoot my little single action revolver a lot at ground squirrels and I have a high hit percentage out to 50 yards so a coyote is easy at that range, it's easier to handle than my large rifle, it does no fur damage up close and the caller covers the shot up enough we often bring more dogs in without loosing the one that came in fast. Body shot in the lungs or heart and they run maybe 30-50 yards then fall over. If I'm calling during Mt Lion hunting I have the 22 mag cylinder in my pistol and it packs a hit, it's just cheap, fast, low noise and just flat works!! My buddy uses a little 17 HMR for coyotes up close on stands but I've seen him whack a coyote at just under 300 yards and they didn't argue at all about it!!
We started shooting Mt lion with a 22 mag because it does not freak the animal out and get it's adrenaline up, I put one shot through it's heart and in a little bit it drops out dead as a knob, no freaking out or dropping from the tree then running, just dead!!! Same goes for deer, a buddy and I took on the task to remove some deer from a sensitive area so we used 22lr rifles and shot them through the lungs or heart, all shots passed through and a good number of the deer went back to feeding then just dropped dead after running out juice, no freaking and at worst they jumped and ran a little bit then stopped since no one else was worried and then fell dead. Not a big deal and did not loose a single deer or even shoot one twice!

It ain't braggin if'n you kin do it!

ALl I know is that for a FACT, I have friends who use the 22 mag and it is 50/50 dead or run away.

Now we are in the east where coyotes are nervous, and do not sit still for long. high grass by edge of fields. maybe where you live they just sit there and present a perfect side heart shot, but here and most places they are fast and sneaky, and some can get 50 lbs (rare).

Maybe some of the users here using the 2 mag with great success are named Outlaw Joesy Whales or Quigly, cause the normal people I know who use them and swear by the 22 mag have a 50 failure rate on killing the Coyote.

I have heard stories of 243's, 25-06 and 22-250's of having failures, no rifle is 100%, yet when I tell the 50/50 story I'm told a that the 22 mag is a 100% death ray for coyotes under 100-200 yards.

send some more pictures of the dead coyotes with the 22 mag, my friend has many pics killed by the 22 mag, but he never took one of the many many ones that ran off 20 miles after being hit... this is not proof of anything..

You almost have to heave a brain of heart shot with a 22 mag or it is going to run a million miles.

With the event of 22 mag ammo being factory loaded with Vmax bullets would improve on the success rate some, I know 223's 22-250's 243's 25-06's up to 7mm and 30 cal shooting the Hornady Vmax, Speer TNT Sierra Blitzking are almost 100% change to drop the dogs, as they dump 100% of there energy into the coyote.

but at 40-120 grains of weight and at 3000-4000 fps, you can hit te dog anywhere and the bullet explodes inside of it . the Vmax in the 22 mag is going pretty slow, so 100 yards of less might give it a better than 50/50 change.
hit a bone with the dinky 32 grain at only 2000 fps and it turns to powder and the coyote runs of and heals up within a few weeks.

the 17 HMR?? over rated!, I know for a fact a 17 HMR is not even close to the knockdown power of a 204 Ruger, and I've head some failures of the 204 on coyotes, makes the 223 Rem seem like a 600 Nitro.

I've seen deer killed by a 22 lr, does that mean it is a death ran on a 300 lb buck 99% of the time, Coyotes are smaller, but pretty tough for there size.

Save your 22 ammo for squirrels and crows. heck I've seen more than one crow fly off after being hit with a 22 mag. and 22 lr., and pellet gun kill them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06
I wouldn't be bragging about even shooting at ANYTHING, especially running, at 138 yards with a 22LR!
***Do you actually think that was skill, rather than blind luck to make a shot like that? If you do, I'll call BS every time!

Sorry for the cheap shot, but I don't like being called a liar by people I've never met.

Easy guy, no one is calling you a lyer actually I posted before you did on the hunter stories of people I know about the 22 mag being 50% kill ratio, and you get on call me a lyer and say more or less the 22 mag is the death ray of all inside 125 yards.

let us cool our tongues and keep adult about it. WE all here have a common interest, we like to hunt those coyotes.

back to the debate
the 223 is a successful rifle, but there have been stories of people losing coyotes to no so perfect shots *shoulder bone hit etc, and the dog ran off,.

Maybe you are a really good shot a moving animals, or have a quick aim. most are not, coyotes do not sit still for long and spook easy. you don't always have time to take a perfect heart shot, a quick aim at center mass and squeeze trigger. a moving coyote would almost be invincible to the 22 mag . and weakling 17 hmr.

This is where a 22-250 with a 50 vmax at 3900-4000 fps will help a hunter, the bullet penetrates inside and blows up or fragmentation into shrapnel going through vital organs. even 3000 fps is like magic

The slow moving 22 mag does not have the velocity to do this time bomb thing, and the small 32 grain bullets will turn to dust on bone hit.

a perfect brain or heart shot is nothing to brag about for the caliber, a 22 lr or a high power 22 cal pellet gun could do the same.

scottyd2506 said:
Easy guy, no one is calling you a lyer actually I posted before you did on the hunter stories of people I know about the 22 mag being 50% kill ratio, and you get on call me a lyer and say more or less the 22 mag is the death ray of all inside 125 yards.

let us cool our tongues and keep adult about it. WE all here have a common interest, we like to hunt those coyotes.

back to the debate
the 223 is a successful rifle, but there have been stories of people losing coyotes to no so perfect shots *shoulder bone hit etc, and the dog ran off,.

Maybe you are a really good shot a moving animals, or have a quick aim. most are not, coyotes do not sit still for long and spook easy. you don't always have time to take a perfect heart shot, a quick aim at center mass and squeeze trigger. a moving coyote would almost be invincible to the 22 mag . and weakling 17 hmr.

This is where a 22-250 with a 50 vmax at 3900-4000 fps will help a hunter, the bullet penetrates inside and blows up or fragmentation into shrapnel going through vital organs. even 3000 fps is like magic

The slow moving 22 mag does not have the velocity to do this time bomb thing, and the small 32 grain bullets will turn to dust on bone hit.

a perfect brain or heart shot is nothing to brag about for the caliber, a 22 lr or a high power 22 cal pellet gun could do the same.

Thanks for the lecture Professor. I thought I closed out the ****ing match with my apology, but apparently you're the kind of guy who likes to pick at scabs...looking for the "ignore" button as I hope you'll do for my posts. Have a wonderful day. Edit: cool, the ignore function works perfectly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06
I wouldn't be bragging about even shooting at ANYTHING, especially running, at 138 yards with a 22LR!
***Do you actually think that was skill, rather than blind luck to make a shot like that? If you do, I'll call BS every time!

I say if he made the shot because of long practice and familiarity with his weapon he IS THE MAN.
:cool:
If he just got lucky, he is still the man in my book because he nailed another fawn eatin, turkey killin' canid and that is a plus in my book.
:)
I make exception for coyotes when it comes to hail mary shots. If you got a backstop, let it fly. I don't care if the worthless dog runs 1000 yds and keels over, as long as he keels over.:rolleyes:

The other thing I usually say is, "Just because the internet can be an ugly contentious place because it's faceless and lacks accountability, doesn't mean we have to contribute to the ugliness."
lightbulb
You shoot 'em your way. Don't bad mouth the feller for killing a coyote. I hope he takes every shot that has a reasonable chance at felling the vermin. God bless his endeavors and guide his aim.gun)

"I make exception for coyotes when it comes to hail mary shots. If you got a backstop, let it fly. I don't care if the worthless dog runs 1000 yds and keels over, as long as he keels over.:rolleyes:
You shoot 'em your way. Don't bad mouth the feller for killing a coyote. I hope he takes every shot that has a reasonable chance at felling the vermin. God bless his endeavors and guide his aim!"

***Well if that ain't a crock of chit I don't know what is! Nobody is badmouthing the guy for killing a yote. However, if you call that running shot at a coyote at 100+ yards with a 22LR taking a shot that has a reasonable chance, you might want to think about taking up knitting instead of hunting for God's sake! Just because it's a varmint doesn't mean that you should wing shots willy nilly, which is exactly what that was, with a huge chance of wounding it. The chances of him hitting that animal and it being a killing shot with that caliber were as minimal as winning the lottery and you should know that if you know anything about shooting and hunting. If your type of attitude was prevalent throughout the hunting community, our sport would die in short order!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.