22 Mag and Coyotes

K-HILL

Starting to see more coyotes around and all I have in the safe appropriate for the area is a 22 mag. My question is does it have enough energy to dispatch a yote at say 50 yrds.
I am hoping to aquire a 223 in the future.

22 mag with a jacketed hollow point is sure kill to farther than 50 yards. I killed one instantly at 115 yds. It was a broadside hit through the middle of the ribs, just behind the shoulder muscles. Coyote dropped like a sack of potatoes. Never even twitched.

Yes it will definitely work for coyotes, I think its a better option than the 17HMR and plenty use that for coyotes just fine. I have taken several with my 22mag. A well placed shot and its no different to the coyote than anything else... DRT.

Yes, it will kill a coyote beyond 100yds. I've killed them at 25yds with my longbow. Your good to go at 50yds. Kill all of them that you can.

Starting to see more coyotes around and all I have in the safe appropriate for the area is a 22 mag. My question is does it have enough energy to dispatch a yote at say 50 yrds.
I am hoping to aquire a 223 in the future.

Yes it works, I've shot a couple over the years with my Win 9422 .22 Mag using Winchester 40gr JHP
They were all under 100 yards perhaps one or two a little over. Couple ran off; not too fare the others were dead where they stood. Not my idea of a Yote rifle but it works as I said.
As always; shot placement.. the runners were shot a little far back on the body. Couple of them that dropped where they stood needed a fast follow up shot or two. One as I recall, took half the tubular magazine before he gave it up, and I shot him close, real close. One of the longer ones dropped like I was using my .220 Swift or my .224 Wby Mag'.., you just never know what's going to happen when your using an under powered cartridge on bigger critters.
Cheer's

You should try a few differen't bullets and shoot the most acurate one. My old chuckster likes the 33gn rem. accutips and not much else, although I tried some 45gn win HPs yesterday that showed some promise. To reiterate what every one else said shot placement is key so know you're drops. good luck....

I've shot quite a few coyotes with the 22 mag out to probably 200 yards. The most important thing I have found when using the 22 mag is choosing the proper ammo. Much of the 22 mag ammo out now is super frangible and produces a lot of runners even on ground squirrels. Cheapo winchester was the worst and the hornady v max was not so great either. The best we have found is the CCI 40 grain stuff. Dumps coyotes on the spot 95% of the time.

When you say 40 grain stuff should I assume JHP.??
Don't want to get lucky enough to call one into range make what appears a good shot only to watch it run away and die slow miserable death.

As hard as 22 Mag ammo is to find right now, you'll have to use whatever you can find. It will all work on coyotes at reasonable ranges.

When you say 40 grain stuff should I assume JHP.??
Don't want to get lucky enough to call one into range make what appears a good shot only to watch it run away and die slow miserable death.
Yeah the jhp maxi mags I believe.

Called in a coyote the other day, shot her around 55 yards with 40 gr Winchester hp.
22 mag did a fine job, seen a friend kill a coyote at a 100 yards.

Best of Luck

In Michigan, a rimfire or birdshot is all we are allowed to use at night on coyote. I have not yet bought a 17wsm so all I have is a 22WMR. The ammo availability issue is serious. I have had to resort to bartering for 223 ammo in order to get any at all. I did get in a single order of CCI 30gr with the polymer tipped bullet, but the high velocity stuff shot terrible out of every rifle I have tried. So I have resorted to bartering for 45gr ammo if I can find it.

I have definitely not had any "dead right there" experiences with the 22 mag. Every coyote I have shot has been a runner. But then I will say that with the night vision equipment one is always making offhand shots, no support with a 6lb rifle with a 3.5lb NV scope on it. Centre of gravity of the rifle it totally whacked too, extremely top heavy.

I have personally vowed that the Savage rimfires are on my ban list, as much as I like the centerfire rifles. Some of the most stupid thinking and crap workmanship I have seen in a long time and there is basically no way to fix it. I got the most expensive laminate stock, stainless action / heavy barrel rifle they had. Right off the start, none of the magazines would feed. I didn't return it since I knew that all the replacement magazines would be the same and clearly the factory thought the rifle was already good QC wise or they would not have shipped it. I reworked the magazine latch/notch until I got all of them working, but one has to be deliberate with cycling the bolt (like one might with a Mosin Nagant) in order to chamber a round. If you examine the fit of the action into the stock, they have left basically no bearing area which permits any kind of stress free bedding concept. There is basically nothing left of the bottom receiver surface that is accessible for bedding. That area is however full of attached irregular shaped objects which do not have the proper "draw" for bedding purposes. The stock inletting also removes so much material that there is no structural integrity left in the stock in the area one would usually want to bed it.

This image gives one an idea of what a cluster it is:
mtltostkmnthrdwr.gif

If it worked, I could have cared less, but really, the rifle could not shoot better than 5moa (at best !). Every other rifle I own is 0.5 to 3/4 MOA where even at 50 yards a group is 2.5" at best with this ***. That is having tried every type of ammo I can get my hands on. In disgust, I removed my $3800 scope and put on a Weaver 6x that I had spare and gave it to a friend who needed something to dispatch raiding possums and raccoons.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.