22-250 or Swift & 22 cal VLD's?

thanks for that information tac. i would assume the shoulder angle makes the difference on the trimming issue. i like the 223 very much. but this gun is too heavy to carry around. id rather have a standard savage in 223, like a classic model, and use this as a mid range varmit gun. the improved 22 250 might just be what ill do.

Yip the improved version helps a lot with the trimming in our 22.250, We used to trim every fire and always surprized how much came off for one fire:rolleyes: we were running 37.5gr of Varget for 3550fps with 55gr Nosler BT, After AI we ran 39.5 gr of Varget to get 3750fps (best groups at those loads) and only trim every 6 fires and not much comes off:cool: better looking case shape too:D

Hey Guys,
Just a follow up to a couple of mentions made in this thread, yes, the new 22/250 Lapua cases will be out soon. They'll be officially unveiled at the SHOT show coming up in Vegas. Packaged in a snazzy new blue plastic box, too, which can be used as a reloading block, and will carry fifty loaded rounds like an after-market plastic cartridge box.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Here's another option that may be worth considering. If u're shooting 12 or 10 twist 22's (or faster), the JLK Low Drags may help u some. The 60 rated for 12 twists has a BC of .339 (left), and the 65 has a BC of .395 10-twist. 60 V-Max in center for comparison--
IMG_0769.jpg

www.swampworks.com

Do you have a link to order some of these low drag pills. I shoot a 1-12 twist, 22-250 with 50grainers and can group in the .2's with Nosler Ballistic tips. Better B.C. are always of intrest!:D.........Duh just noticed the link at bottom of post, stayed up to late reloading I guess???

OK,
Let me through this in, I had a 220 swift by Savage in an old 110 V. Years ago, that gun or caliber was the trickeyist thing to reload. I would get the
loads as close as I could to being the same, some would show signs of high
pressure (createred primers) other would not. I sold it. I will stay with the
22-250.

hard to say what the problem was with that rifle. I once had a Ruger #1 Varmint in 220 swift and it would not shoot straight. I sold it and bought a Berretta O/U. Wish I still had that old Berretta - glad that #1 is gone though.

texasgunner,
Here's a thought that might help with the .220 Swift...in my book one of the all time greats in almost any rifle.
When I first started looking for loads for the .220... I' like most others, wanted to use its large case capacity to its fullest advantage. I'd worked up loads, and found most the time my best load was right at the top of the max end of the loading books pressures. As I reached the desired velocity and accuracy, I'd find that once in a while my cases would show some "really serous" pressure problems. Well to make a long story short; I traced it down to my scales. I turned in my RCBS 505 & 10-10's for an Ohaus 1110 Dial-O-Grain, and then I'd picked up a RCBS Charge Master 1500' last a Ohaus Triple Beam Balance scale. I don't have those problems any more... if I see high pressure, then they pretty much all are going to show it... So now once I'm set' it's good. To tell you the truth; the best single bean scale I've ever used is a very "old" Redding #1 that was given to me way back... man that scale is dead nuts on once it set up properly, I've checked the Redding many times with my other scales. Guess I should have started using it before I bought all the others.
Just a passing thought on the subject.

Fair enough. FWIW, my dad does have a pre-64 M70 in 220. It shoots great with 4064 & any 55 gr bullet... oh well:D

I have a 220 swift with 1-8 twist that was built at the remington custom shop. The test targets they sent me are .268 .204 shooting 52G bullets. The rifle will shoot 75G Amax intechangably with 6 clicks of elevation adjustment. I have shot 3 shots of the 52's and then dialed in the elevation and shot 2 more 75G bullets into the same group. The rifle is very versitle, The only problem is I dont have the time to use it. The barrelled action is a Remington 700 blued with factory 40X trigger and a remington #7 27" contour heavy target barrel. If anyone is interested the barrelled action is for sale with the trigger for 625.00. I will sell the barrel for 300.00. Pm is okay but email is prefered [email protected] Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.