204 ruger or 22-250

My brother would say 22-250 has no peer. I say the 204 at least has little competition....

Most posters above seem to be not into or have not used (much) the 39 SBK or the 40 Berger. I started out with the 32 grain because its speed impressed. But then I started looking at the balistics of the 40 grainers and tried the 40 Hornady, which wasn't nearly as accurate.

Not giving up, I loaded both the 40 Berger and 39 SBK. To my amazement, these are extremely accurate and very devastating to much longer ranges than the 32 grainers. Berger for hide saving, SBK for squirrels, Pd's. I would even put them up against a 22-250. I'm getting about 3900fps with them w/H322.

Compare the stats. You should be surprised.

+1.........I checked the ballistics program....and I was suprised!

The higher BC 40 grainers put the 204 in the same category for sure. Especially if you can get that kind of velocity (3900 fps?). We'd have to step up to 55 grain .224 bullets to get the BC of the 40 grn .204 bullet. In order to match that velocity we gotta go with the 22-250AI or 220 Swift type of cartridge.

Only downside is maybe energy on target.? I know a 55 grn 224 will take down a coyote at 500 yds, but I don't know if a 40 grn 204 would??

I have killed coyotes at 400 yards with my .204 but I really don't consider the .204 even a 400 yard coyote cartridge. That was the one caveat in my ealier post. I use my .204's for calling purposes so most of the shots are under 200 yards. No problems there. My son usually brings his .243AI for the occasional drive-by coyote. It'll Get "er Done...

22-250_55grBK_50grBK_204_39grBK--small.jpg
here's a comparison to shed some light....

I have seen that the 204 drops less, but is affected more by wind drift. I would defer to compare BC's betwixt the two.....

Don't get me wrong I have a soft spot for the 22-250 and 243 but not in a hot p-dog town, if your not careful you'll smoke the tubes fast!

A good friend of mine has a 204 upper on an AR and really likes it but if I'm not watching him he will shoot all my 17 Remington rounds PDQ now THAT little rifle is pure fun and evil as can be on p-dogs.

I know this is not one of your considerations but the plain jane boring ol' 223 is really hard to beat for p-dogs! when they get a little shy and it slows down I just get out the 75gr A-Max loads (single shot from the AR) it'll whack em' pretty solid out there in the 600 yard range those bullets just seem to float, not super high velocity but the BC of them you don't have to spit them out all that fast to start with. When they get out there past 600 yards that's when the 243 comes out and it'll put a whacking on a p-dog out there further than you really need to be shooting them.

There are a mess of good calibers for p-dogs but the thing you need to look at is what is 75% of your shooting going to be? get a caliber for the 75% not the 25% you MIGHT do. My suggestion is a plain ol boring 223 then a fast twist 22-250 for the dogs that want to just sit there and bark at ya out there in the 800+ range. Later,

Kirk

One thing not discussed is the recoil and view.

The .204 and the .223 both allow you to view the shot all the way. To me the fun of seeing the kill shot thru your scope is priceless.

The 22-250 is going to kick so much it does not allow you to follow the shot thru the scope. It also gets too hot too quick when in a good dog town.

The AR-15 platform with a fluted barrel is the only way to go. .204 or .223
The fluting is for rapid barrel cooling not weight reduction.

Shooting with friends and calling your shots is what it's all about when you p-dog hunt. But if you can't see the shot and kill you miss out.

One thing not discussed is the recoil and view.

The .204 and the .223 both allow you to view the shot all the way. To me the fun of seeing the kill shot thru your scope is priceless.

The 22-250 is going to kick so much it does not allow you to follow the shot thru the scope. It also gets too hot too quick when in a good dog town.

The AR-15 platform with a fluted barrel is the only way to go. .204 or .223
The fluting is for rapid barrel cooling not weight reduction.

Shooting with friends and calling your shots is what it's all about when you p-dog hunt. But if you can't see the shot and kill you miss out.

A heavy barrel 22-250 or 220 swift shooting 50 or 55 grn bullets does allow you to spot your shots......always has for me. But, I am talking about a 12-15 lb rifle. Also, I had to keep the scope power 14X or lower............just saying, it can be done...........yes, they do get hot quick.

I shoot a 223; 22-250; 204;and a 243 and I like all of them. If I had to make a choice it would be the 22-250. My longest shot to date was 760 yards with the 250 on a wind perfect day. As an adder the more guns you have available the less you worry about barrel heat.

look at your average range, above 250 go 22.250 or even better 20BR. Below 250 then 204 using the 39/40 grain bullets will get the job done and allow you to watch through the scope. I rarely saw any hits with my 22.250, thats now replaced by a 20BR where I see them every time.

A

I love the 204, I have a trued and timed Savage with a Boyds thumbhole stock and a 26" Shilen 10 twist barrel that loves 40gr Noslers. Groups in the .3s when the shooter cooperates. Mine runs 3850fps with a full load of 4895, I get just slightly flattened primers and no other pressure signs. Brass life if north of 8 reloads so far.

The 22-250 has its place but these days I think its role is getting narrower. At longer ranges it should shine, but if I am going to specifically build a rifle for over 500 yard varminting I am probably going to skip the 250 in favor of something like a 243AI or something like a fast twist 6 Dasher.

have an r-15 in .204, killed a coyote at 543 yards (two spins and done) with it and a 32 gr. blitzking it'll do the job if placed well at long range.

Lots of great responses here.

Funny when the thread turned to the 39 gr SBK and 40 gr high BC's how I saw some eyes open.

IMO, if the 204 came out first, there would be no 223, 222 or 22-250

I sold my 22-250s after 1 week with my 204.

The key is - GET A 10+ twist.

Most factory barrels are 1 in 12" these days, which is usually not fast enough to stabilize the heavier (higher BC) bullets, where the 204 REALLY shines.

White oak built my 204 upper, it was pricey, but it's GREAT to shoot. I use regular AR mags.

Another option is the 20 Practical for an AR platform. I'd recommend that if you have a lot of 223 brass and do your own reloading.

Good luck!

-J

Hehehe, and then the talk went to ARs. I totally agree; ARs positively RULE in a PD town! Accurate ones that it. Don't forget the brass catchers!
I have three uppers built for me by ISSI, Insight Shooting Systems of Colo. All will shoot bug holes all day long. Two are in 20 TAC (driver) and a 223 A.I. What is so great about them; besides their super accuracy, is the lack of recoil and I can see impacts.
The 20 TAC (driver) is first cousin to the 204 Ruger and the 20 Practical. It's the smaller of the three and I believe the most efficient; but it's a small point. My 20s love the 39 gr. Sierra Blitz Kings and the 223 A.I. loves the same brand at 55 grains.
So as to your quest for the best PD round. I'm doing mental back flips over my choices. I can whack em with the 20 out to 475 (did it last year); but there ain't much energy left for PDs. (Lee of ISSI regularly shoots coyotes with it at long ranges. ) The 223 A.I. sends a 55 grainer , I swear it's true, at a tad over 3600 fps and will reach out to ,I think , over 500 yards. Neither round in the real world of PD shootin takes much hold for wind. It blows oddly all the time anyway so luck plays a big part in doping the wind out there.
For my 2 cents worth; for PD shooting mostly, go with a 20 cal. and a 223 as the range get longer or the barrel get hot. Oh, and do it on an AR platform with a good built upper. It's worth the expense. ISSI is great and I'm sure there's other makers. You won't be lugging these all over so make em heavy; at least a .700 muzzle for the 20s and 850 for the 223 and you'll see the PD explode ! Oh, and don't go over 10 power in the scope while shooting. It's all you need. I shoot higher at paper; but not PDs. Can't find them first and harder to see impact with higher than 10X.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.