Ruger American 22-250

Litehiker

Just got a new Ruger American in 22-250 for $365. I put an old Burris Fulfield 6-18 X 40 target scope on it for now.

I'll shoot it with Hornady Superformance 50 gr. cartridges and 55 gr. regular Hornadys.

As soon as I zero the scope I'll post the target photos.

Great! I am interested in one of these for a beater rifle. Can't wait to see how it shoots. Of particular interest is how it performs with heavier bullets. The 10 twist should be good for at least 69 grain bullets. I have run the numbers that I could find through a stability calculator and it looks like 75g BTHP's should work. The 75g AMAX's are right on the edge, according to the calculator I used.

At any rate, Hodgdon says a 22-250 will do just about 3500 from a 24" barrel using Superformance powder and 70g bullets. Maybe 3400 from a 22" barrel? I am thinking 3400 with 69g SMK's would be a pretty mean long range varmint/yote load.

I am looking forward to your range report!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.