22/250 or 223

Waynzee

Hi fellas, my brother and I are looking into getting into coyote hunting a little more serious and debating on rifle and caliber. We are both retired and don't want to spend a fortune on the rifles as far as ammo I can reload either the 22-250 or 223. We've narrowed it down to either one of these calibers. Any thoughts on caliber and rifle.

Hi fellas, my brother and I are looking into getting into coyote hunting a little more serious and debating on rifle and caliber. We are both retired and don't want to spend a fortune on the rifles as far as ammo I can reload either the 22-250 or 223. We've narrowed it down to either one of these calibers. Any thoughts on caliber and rifle.

I dont have much experience with the 223 but i did buy a Savage model 12 fv in 22-250 for my 6.5 Creedmoor build. I shot the rifle though while i got the money for the barrel. I developed a load with the 52 smk that was a consistent sub .25 moa 3 shot groups. I was able to take a coyote with it at 250 yards with the 53 Hornady v-max that i worked up a load with and that dog dropped like a stone and never wiggled. If I wanted a strict coyote rifle id definitely go with the 22-250. I was launching the 52 smk at 3825 and the 53 vmax around 3850-3900

My vote would be the 22-250. A coyote will never know which round he is hit by, but unless your doing a lot of target or varmint shooting I would personally go for the 250. If you're loading then the cost between the two for decent components is not much issue. I just like the extra zip the 250 has. I load 55gr bergers with IMR 4064 and use it for predators and occasionally once a year on prairie dogs. Never had an issue with either.

Also, depending on the gun your looking at the 250 with a faster twist can still launch some of the heavier rounds pretty quickly.

the only reason I would go with a 223 is if i wanted an AR sure is nice to have that semi-auto when you miss or have 2 dogs. i have both an AR and savage 22-250 if you decide 223 then definitely make it an AR, if AR's aren't your thing then id say 22-250, if your reloading cost difference is so small you might as well go 250 for the extra punch.

I would go for the 22-250 as well. I won a Savage Predator in 22-250 at an Egg shoot a few years ago. I was pleasantly surprised. Nice weight, balance , and trigger. It shoots everything in 55gr I have fed it in factory ammo into sub .5MOA so I never even bothered to reload yet.

I shoot a Savage model 12 with a 9 twist and it shoots 69 gr SMKs very well.
I also have a 223 Savage model 12, but prefer the heavier bullets past about 250 yds.
I had my 22/250 made into the Ackley version which is easily done and requires no
fire forming.

I have and use both the .223 and 22-250 for coyotes. I like them both and truth be told I really don't think that the 22-250 can do anything that the .223 can't. I have never had a coyote get away using my .223 that the 22-250 would have done any better.

I have Savage Model 12FCV in .223. It shoots tiny little groups with 69gr SMK's. I can consistently hit a 7" gong at 600yds when I get the wind right.
Even with the soon to be history crappy stock.

morning, 223-223ai-22-250-22-250ai-and not mentioned 243-243ai all

stone cold killers. barnes and lapua bullets.lightbulb:rolleyes:gun)

Model 12 bvss 22-250 is what I use.As stated, factory 55gr into tiny holes, know need for me to re-load. Only gun that I dont by the way . Also hits with authority .You will not regret the 22-250 .Savage is my choice . Hornady is my ammo .

For sit an call hunting my Remington 700 bolt .22-250, it will reach out there further if needed. Have taken prairie dogs with it out to 500 yds.

For quick follow up shots, an AR platform in .223 works very well and has helped me bring home more coyotes that have kicked it into overdrive and I muffed the first shot.

Either caliber will dump Mr. Yote in his tracks on the spot. Good luck in your decision!

I own and shoot rifles in both .223 and 22-250. The biggest advantage in favor of the 22-250 is that it shoots flatter and drifts less than the .223. Properly set up, it is pretty much a point-and-shoot rifle out to about 400 yards. Surprisingly enough, it doesn't seem to show a significant difference in terminal effect.

For a low round count purpose, like coyote hunting, I think the 22-250 can be a better choice, depending on the terrain in the area you will be hunting and depending on the rifle you put it in. To really take advantage of the full capabilities of the 22-250, the right twist is critical. Don't bother with any rifle that has a 14 twist. Go with a 12 twist, at minimum. Faster twists are even better.

Any of the current Savage 10/11 lineup is a solid choice. They all have, at least, a 12 twist. You can get a 9 twist in their varmint models, if you want to carry that much rifle. The varmint model will cost a bit more, too.

The Ruger American Predator has a 10 twist and is a reasonable size and weight for a walk around type rifle.

While there is a lot of good factory 22-250 ammo in existence, loading your own is worthwhile. It is not difficult to produce handloads that are considerably faster and more accurate than anything you can buy off-the-shelf.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.