210 Wildcats

Jimm

Most unusual , for my rifle at any rate.

I've been working up a load for my 300 winnie using 210 gr rbbt Wildcat bullets .

Usually my ladder tests with this rifle will wander back and forth and climb as the test proceeds with an occasional dip back down then up again clustering in nodes 3 to 5 shots wide at times . This wandering about may use up 10-12" of vertical moving me off the original target onto a new one.

This has been my experience with SMK's as that is all I have used until now .

Here is a recent ladder test with the 210 gr Wildcat rbbt . I have performed this test twice and have obtained the same results each time . Reckon its time to move on ? Pick a powder weight and load up some I mean . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif [image]
c31fb045.jpg
[/image]

and here are the particulars [image]
de16ebdb.jpg
[/image]

Hey Jim

How do you like those bullets??? The one's BJ got were **** nice looking, very sleek design

From the looks on your velo readings it looks like around 72.8 the velocity had the least jump. BJ likes to do the same kind of tests with his stuff. I am a little more of the "just wanna shot" kinda guy but I think his and your way offers the most consistant accuracy.

Keep us posted with what you decide

When you all stopping by our shop again???

good luck
steve

I think you should just move on and send the left over bullets to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

I'm going out to test a 105 gr US869 load tomorrow evening. Should give me around 3225 fps. We'll see what they do!!

Hey Steve ,

Looking back at previous ladder tests using Re -22 I realized that 73 grs is working with 190 to 210 bullets in my rig .

Bill , would you like to try some 210 WC's in 30 cal ? Say the word and I will have some on the way to you .They are too purty ,but they will hurt something at 3150 fps and will no doubt do the job way out there( they wrecked my grader blade gong today and that is high carbon steel )

I have been considering a meplat uniformer but these things don't need such as that.

Later, Jim B.

jimm,

depending on the rifle, WCs will outshoot SMKs. WCs 'act' different than SMKs. Don't ask me why, they just do, in my experience.

IF your SMKs were moving a foot and the RBBTs are moving an inch or two confirms my thinking.

Here's what I suggest: This is major fine tuning and may not be quite right but I am confident it is in the correct direction.

From the chat below and you description of you past tests I suggest the following:

Here's my bases. Sometimes it strings - and sometimes | I'm bettin' there will be an exact powder weight that it will transition between the "-" adn "|" which results in a "." (Bug hole)

I'd suggest 3 test loads of 3 shots each.

Load 1: 71.6 gr

Load 2: 72.8 gr which is right at shot #9 which "shouldn't be way to the left /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif You may have to do some hunting around in that area of the ladder test as there are a bunch of shots clustered in that horizonal pattern.

Load 3: From the chart it appears as though you are headed to another flat spot as the curve is starting to flatten with shot number 12. Don't know if your running into pressure there or not. IF not I'd load 3 w/73.5 gr.

I'm thinking that after these 9 shots there will be 1 more tweek and your ready to PD w/the 210s.

Also the difference between the highest and lowest velocities you listed aren't enough for a Muley to notice.

Also I'm thinkin' you shot @ 300 yds??

Just my tho'ts. Lets hear how you ended up.
332300_Win_Ladder_Test-med.jpg
332jimms-ladder-vel-chart-med.jpg

Also I'm thinkin' you shot @ 300 yds??

Yup ! and they do act different , in a great way that is .

I'm outta here , this time change is messing with my feeble brain , .....nite all !

Jim B.

Thanks Jimm, but I had Richard send me 200 w/my last batch of 270 bullets. The initial results look promising. 210 gr of Pb/Cu w/a high BC going 3200 fps should be very hard on those 1500 yd + PDs!!!

If I can hit them that is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif.

I would be very interested in the BC you guys come up with. Just a rough estimate would work for me. I was thinking of either getting a box of them or the 225g uld for my 300 RUM.

SHould be very close to the BC on the new 210gr SMK, maybe better

**** nice looking bulllet

steve

I cant find the BC for the sierra 210g smk. I went to there website and it says that the BC is not available. Maybe I should just give them a quick phone call. Where can you get the new 210g SMK's?? I have not seen them at sportsmans or Midway.

0.601 @ 2600 fps and above
0.575 between 2600 and 2300 fps
0.523 between 2300 and 2050 fps
0.450 between 2050 and 1800 fps
0.375 @ 1800 fps and below

Data from Sierra for the 210 SMKs

I know Sinclair has them in the 50 ct samplers, but they are very pricey! I preoreded some through a conglomerate and still had to pay $25 to get 50 shipped to me. For the money, I would shoot JLKs, Bergers or Wildcats first. I say that, but I have not shot any yet either! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I just bought another box of berger 210's. There BC is .640, and there only $28 for 100 bullets at my sportsmans. Very accurate out of my 300 RUM. I would like to try either the 210g or 225g wildcat though. Thanks for the information!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.