210 gr wildcat 300 rum advice

stxhunter

I got some 210 wildcats from BJ Bailey he adviced my to start at 90gr retumbo and work up to 92.5. Well I'm out of retumbo but have H1000 can I also start at 90 and work up to 92.5. I also loaded some 200AB's from 91 to 93gr h1000 to see how they shoot

I shoot the 210 bergers in 300rum with h1000 started at 88g and went up to 92gr but shoots best at 90gr mines a factory rem 700

I would also recommend dropping that starting load a couple grains from that of the Retumbo starting load. H-1000 is measureably faster burning then Retumbo so this will just give you a bit more cushion just to be on the safe side.

Top end velocity will be similiar with both, be careful on top end loads however, H-1000 can pressure out in this case volume with this bullet weight. What I mean is you can get into dangerous pressure levels with this powder and cartridge combo. Work up slow and over a chrono if possible.

Kirby Allen(50)

I see that alot of you are using Retumbo for the 300 RUM, i have just started testing loads in my new 700 LSS.I have tried 93.0 grains Retumbo with the Barnes TSX 180 grain, seated at .040 off the lands.Seems to be a real mild load, pressure wise. Is this low on the Retumbo charge? Barnes web site shows 93.0 as max, or is it just C.Y.A. for liability reasons??? Glad to find so many people who shoot this caliber.... Thanks in advance for any help.....rsbhunter

i don't know about the tsx but 95 gr is max in my 700p with retumbo useing a 200gr accubond what does the tsx wieght i'm sure someone here has data on it

[ QUOTE ]
I see that alot of you are using Retumbo for the 300 RUM, i have just started testing loads in my new 700 LSS.I have tried 93.0 grains Retumbo with the Barnes TSX 180 grain, seated at .040 off the lands.Seems to be a real mild load, pressure wise. Is this low on the Retumbo charge? Barnes web site shows 93.0 as max, or is it just C.Y.A. for liability reasons??? Glad to find so many people who shoot this caliber.... Thanks in advance for any help.....rsbhunter

[/ QUOTE ]

No the Barnes data is not CYA 93 grains with the lot of Retumbo and thier test barrel produced MAX pressure.I went to 99.5 grains with one lot of Retumbo and the 180 TXS,but the lot that I am useing now 96 grains is as high as I can go.I get 3330 fps with the 96 grain load. and accuracy is under .5 MOA....
thumb.gif

Hi I would purchase some Retumbo, ADI here in Australia wore out 6 300RUM barrels developing the powder specificaly for the 300RUM and 180gr+ weight projectiles H1000 is just a tad fast and as stated be warey as pressures will spike rapidly as you reach top velocities. The use of Retumbo will give you similar velocity with less pressure meaning the lugs on your acton will last longer and also your brass for 2gr more powder it is a cheaper option to use the slower powder to save brass costs.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.