2022 Best Range Finder for ELR?

Have some friends that purchase everything new that comes out.
As Pony Doctor and gpo 1956 mentioned the "SIG" RF work GREAT.

We may need to get one of the SIG's and the price is not that expensive compared to Leica Binoculars/RF ($3,500)
The Kilo5000 is about $6-700.
Why compare a lrf bino to a lrf? Makes no sense to do that considering the pricing is vastly different. Even in the realm of lrf with ballistic engine there is big price difference to one without.

Revic BR4 is by far the best rangefinder I've owned. I realize it's out of your price range, but it's well worth the added cost. By once cry once and be happy.

There's an independent researcher and PRS shooter who is producing masses of scientific, but highly usable data — about rifles, scopes, ammo, and you guessed it — rangefinders. 😊

It's the Precision Rifle Blog, here:
https://precisionrifleblog.com/

The newer rangefinder articles can be found here:
▪ Pocket Rangefinder Field Test Showdown (2019)
https://precisionrifleblog.com/2019/04/28/pocket-rangefinder-field-test/

▪ Best Rangefinder — What the Pro's Use (2019)

Mattthias
Looks like the Nikon Black range 4k is the best for his budget, according to the article.

Why compare a lrf bino to a lrf? Makes no sense to do that considering the pricing is vastly different. Even in the realm of lrf with ballistic engine there is big price difference to one without.
Hey BrentM
Gope all is well with you and your family in these turbulent times.
Really I was not trying to make a comparison between Binos and RF. Just a statement what we paid and now with newer technology you can get much farther range with Sig's and a very lower cost.
I think I probably need to stop posting. Lately it seems like some members have follow up and question what I post in not a positive way.
Thanks for your feed back!
Len

The most recent thread I could find was 2015.... and here we are 7 years later, so I ask the question.....

What is the best Range Finder for ELR shooting, out to 2,000 yards?

Here are a few that I found in my price range.

Leupold RX-2800 TBR
Vortex Optics Razor HD 4000
Nikon Laser 50
Sig Sauer Kilo 2200 BDX

Anyone have any experience with these or do you have a better suggestion. My max budget is $500-$600, but would like to be closer to $400 if possible.
Sorry your post is derailed with LRF's at 3-10x the budget price. I think the premise is that people tend to value and justify the expense for the LR shooting conditions we experience. For me, I know I need to press the button and get a result instantly with a firing solution attached. Additionally, I got tired of packing a LRF separate from binos so elected for the higher end glass of the leica 3200 with their excellent LRF capabilities. I can easily hit 3000 yard ranges on vegetation but I also use my glass for guiding and scouting for clients so it's easily justified. I am by no means recommending this product, but I have been around leica LRF's for years and they always perform as they should. I have had a pile of LRF's and came back to Leica. So, if you can find a Leica in your budget I think it's well worth the research. I cannot recommend sig any more as I went through 4 2400ab units. They all failed, I don't know why, I don't care anymore. I will say that Sig did respond to me well enough but everyone of the failures occurred in the field on a hunt......

Hey BrentM
Gope all is well with you and your family in these turbulent times.
Really I was not trying to make a comparison between Binos and RF. Just a statement what we paid and now with newer technology you can get much farther range with Sig's and a very lower cost.
I think I probably need to stop posting. Lately it seems like some members have follow up and question what I post in not a positive way.
Thanks for your feed back!
Len
All good man, just wondering. I get your point for sure now. I am guilty too.

Way out of your stated price range, but the Zeiss RF binos will range "soft" (not highly reflective) targets to 2500 yards! Very useable ballistics as well.

I'd like to get a lighter LRF for backpack hunting (my Vectronix is HEAVY), and I'm leaning towards the Leupold RX-2800. I've heard too many bad reports on the Vortex in poor weather conditions, the Leicas are several hundred dollars more than the Leupold, and I tried out a Sig Kilo 2400ABS that wouldn't pick up a 4" plate at 240 yards, a goose on the lake at 450 yards, or a large barn at 1780 yards. Maybe that was a defective unit, but it certainly doesn't instill confidence in the Sig Kilo.

The most recent thread I could find was 2015.... and here we are 7 years later, so I ask the question.....

What is the best Range Finder for ELR shooting, out to 2,000 yards?

Here are a few that I found in my price range.

Leupold RX-2800 TBR
Vortex Optics Razor HD 4000
Nikon Laser 50
Sig Sauer Kilo 2200 BDX

Anyone have any experience with these or do you have a better suggestion. My max budget is $500-$600, but would like to be closer to $400 if possible.
Leupold RX=2800 TBR is great, first 2 ranges right out of the box 2980 and 3120. Consistently within the 2800 range and you can tune it to your rifle caliber for TBR and MOA to 800yds. I got a deal from Optics Planet for $444 a couple years ago. Very happy with it and it is a 7x optical same as Leica.My son has the Leica and this is comparable but cheaper.

We compared this vs my Leica 3500.
Very nice rangefinder for the money. Everything we ranged with my Leica was 3 yards more than the Maven. We were able to range about 3100 yards with the Maven if I remember correctly. And it would repeat on the same target. A little heavy but definitely worth a spin.

@171farm
He's right, I have the Maven and it's a nice unit. Everyone that messes with it like it. A little "heavy" but ya get a lot for what ya pay

So much goes into getting the correct range on an animal. The following are just a few of the things that go into getting a correct reading:

power of the laser
beam divergence of the laser
algorithyms that interpret the return data
distance, size and reflectiveness of target
weather conditions such as bright sun, fog, drizzle, cold/heat

I'm sure there is a "best" in the price range you mention, but those models may not get it done when the chips are down and money is on the line. In AZ, it is getting harder and harder to draw any kind of trophy tag. When I finally draw a good hunt, I don't want to be ranging a 350 bull elk in failing light that is quartering away at 800 yds in a light drizzle. Too much time and money on the line to find out that your rangefinder just won't cut it. Or how about trying to range a B&C antelope buck in Wyoming at 700 yds on a flat field where the sagebrush stands three feet tall. You get my drift.

In my book, the terrapin is the best non-military grade rangefinder out there. I was about to buy one years ago, but just before I pulled the trigger, Vectronix announce they were pulling out of the civilian market. They discontinued the Terrapin and servicing could only be done out of Europe. My friend got burned bad on that one. I was surprised to learn a few years ago that they were bringing it back. So many burned bridges there that I won't buy one based on principal.