200gr vs 178gr weight for 300 win mag for multi-purpose

catorres1

Starting to collect the stuff for the 300 I bought, and am trying to decide on an all around bullet to start loading. I will be using the rifle for both hunting and target shooting to about 1200 yards. I have a 260 as a trainer that will get the bulk of the action, so I want the loads to match, wind drift wise.

In terms of hunting, ideally, it will work fine for everything from small Texas whitetails to Bison, Elk and Eland, shot close range to far.

I shoot a 140 Amax at 2725 out of the Tikka, and will likely change to the 143 ELD-X. I am sure this will be a fine paper punching bullet, but no one can say about terminal performance, of course. But I am thinking of starting the experiment with an ELD-X when they come available in a few weeks for the 300 as well.

Looking at ballistics charts, wind drift wise, I can match that 143 at around 2700, with either the 178 or the 200 ELD-X pretty nicely, with the 200 actually being the better fit. The 178 I would have to push to 3k, so close to maximum, and the 200, I could run at 27-2800 IIRC, so closer to a minimum load, which I like. Recoil wise, they both throw up the same numbers according to PB.

So overall, I would say the 200, except I really wonder about such a heavy bullet, and probably heavily built, for the little stuff like these 100lb deer around here.

Again, I know no one knows how any ELD-X will perform, but generally speaking, what is the general consensus on using a 200 gr 300 at 2750 or so under these circumstances?

Last edited:
I would run the 212 ELD-X at around 2850. I don't understand why you'd want your .300 to mimic the poorer ballistics of the .260. For hunting game at 1200 yards you're going to want high BC and high velocity, even if the drift is less than your practice gun. Just my opinion.

If you are really set on matching the drift of your .260 either bullet would work ok. The 200 will give you a bit better barrel life.

Thanks for the response.

Yeah, I like the idea of a slower bullet at lower pressure for barrel and brass life. My only concern is that the 200 might be too hard for the little deer we have around here. But if it will do the job (open up reasonably well), then it's the better choice. I personally prefer a larger bullet and a definite pass through, with reasonable expansion, and I don't know if the 200's will do that. Perhaps that's only a question that can be answered once the ELD-X's are actually out, but was wondering, generally, what the rule of thumb is on using 200's on smaller sized game like a small whitetail. But frankly, if the 212 would work, I'd probably use that at lower velocity.

But to answer your question on the ballistics, I will shoot steel out to 1200, but not game, sorry for the confusion. Game, nowhere even that close, I am not good enough. So it is more valuable to me to have two rifles that match pretty closely in wind drift for practice and training purposes than the extra Ftlbs of energy or whatever way out there. I just won't use it, but learning the wind on a platform that responds the same, that I will use.

But yeah, if I was able and planning to make that kind of shot, I'd be using the 212's at max velocity to squeeze out all the performance I could get.

Ok, now I see what you're getting at. Hornady has a PDF file that shows some of their testing on the 200 grain bullets: http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/resources/ELD-X_ELD-Match_Technical_Details.pdf

Take a look at the wound channels they create, specifically the first 12-15". That's about where you want damage to occur on a deer. The heavy bullets will penetrate pretty deep when they need to but it appears they will expand very nicely on smaller game.

Cool, thanks for posting that. I'll check that out. If the 200's do the business, then I can't see a reason for going lighter!

For a 300 win i would steer toward the 200+ class bullets.

Hey, looks like you are near me, I am in Austin.

Right now, that's the way I am leaning as well, but would you do that even on our little Hill Country Whitetails?

For those of you that are not familiar, many of the Whitetails in the areas I hunt are Coues Deer sized.....

Its not necessary for our skinny deer, but you will reap the benifits in the external ballistics department, and the speed and energy will be there down range in case you ever do want to roll an animal at extended distances, or even pursue larger game in the future.

Also the large bullets require slow powder resulting in more case fill and in my opinion more consistent accuracy from the large chamber.

I personally dont see any benifits to loading light bullets in large cartridges.

Yeah, I definitely have larger animals on menu, so I did not want to go below a 180, but a 200 is actually the ideal. It has the same BC as the bullet I use in my 260, or it will I should say as I transfer from Amax's to ELD-x's for that rifle.

So if I push them both to 2725, I'll have identical drift characteristics, which is something I want.

I was just worried that that 200 would be so hard that I'd pencil an and pencil out on our little dog-deer.

Sounds like maybe that's not too much of a concern. If so, I'm set.

As a bonus, looks like I can probably use the same powder (h4350) for the 260, the 300 and my son's 270. That assumes the 270 and the 300 like that powder, my 260 sure does.

That would make things soooo much more simple for me!

Simple yes, but also counterproductive.

If you want identical drift and drop characteristics as your 260, then shoot the 260.

It would be desired to shoot a 215 ( with a form factor of .915 ) to around 2900 to get all you can from a 300 win ( or similar combination ). If not, then you loose any potential returns on the investment. Typically people go to a bigger cartridge to gain range, energy, and less drift.

To achieve this 4350 is probably not ideal.

Regardless of the bullet you decide to use, experiment with it, understand how it performs, and utilize it to your advantage ( optimal shot placement ).

The 260's purpose is to act as a trainer for the 300, so as close to possible drift characteristics is a goal.

Basically, I'll be able to shoot the 260 higher volume, and the 300 less, but still get familiar with it's wind drift behavior. This is what the two trainers I chatted with have suggested.

And using the 300 for all hunting works well, I think I'll be confident using a 200gr out to my max yardage, which is not very far for this board, on everything up to the Elk and Bison I am working towards.

So the 200 and h4350 combo looks like it will fit the bill nicely...guess I'll find out shortly.

The 260's purpose is to act as a trainer for the 300, so as close to possible drift characteristics is a goal.

Basically, I'll be able to shoot the 260 higher volume, and the 300 less, but still get familiar with it's wind drift behavior. This is what the two trainers I chatted with have suggested.

And using the 300 for all hunting works well, I think I'll be confident using a 200gr out to my max yardage, which is not very far for this board, on everything up to the Elk and Bison I am working towards.

So the 200 and h4350 combo looks like it will fit the bill nicely...guess I'll find out shortly.
I think barrel life would be about the same.... So less recoil would be the only benefit.
Maybe a little savings on powder...

I think barrel life would be about the same.... So less recoil would be the only benefit.
Maybe a little savings on powder...

Yep, it's about the recoil. No too worried about powder savings, though it's about 1/3 less IIRC. Barrel life, I really don't know.

Just talking to both trainers, they suggested for volume shooting, something with less recoil. Hence the 260.

In addition, I am in Texas, barrels get so hot so fast in the middle of the summer, and take so long to cool. So I have a heavier barrel on the Tikka to handle heat a little better, plus being able to swap between rifles while one cools makes my time more efficient.

Little Tikka CTR is a shooter too!

Yep, it's about the recoil. No too worried about powder savings, though it's about 1/3 less IIRC. Barrel life, I really don't know.

Just talking to both trainers, they suggested for volume shooting, something with less recoil. Hence the 260.

In addition, I am in Texas, barrels get so hot so fast in the middle of the summer, and take so long to cool. So I have a heavier barrel on the Tikka to handle heat a little better, plus being able to swap between rifles while one cools makes my time more efficient.

Little Tikka CTR is a shooter too!
I agree I usually take at lest three rifles to the range. I have been to where I would still have to wait for them to cool..
I agree about the recoil. But I would still add a brake to that 300. It would take down to your 260. Then they both would be fun to shoot.. Lol

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts