200gr. Accubond vs. 200gr. Sierra Game King: 300 Win Mag

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Magnum61, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Magnum61

Magnum61 Well-Known Member

I'm having issues with the accubond tips breaking off frequently but I'm a little nervous of shooting match bullets.

Any opinion?

2. Moman

Moman Well-Known Member

Are you talking about Sierra Matchkings or Gamekings? How are the tips breaking off of the Accubonds?

3. Magnum61

Game Kings... I'm a little on the fence with using the match styled bullets in sub-338 cartridges.

The tips breaking off happened quite frequently when I was in Montana hunting Antelope. Just with with basic loading they would break off going in to the chamber.

4. MSLRHunter

MSLRHunter Well-Known Member

What kind of performance were you getting with the200 accubonds? I just bought a box of 200 gr accubonds to try in my 300 win mag along with the 210 gr berger vld.

5. Moman

Moman Well-Known Member

I've never had that problem with the AB's. I've used the 180's a lot in my 300 WM and really like their performance. I had a bad experience with this same gun using 180 Gamekings. Shot a large Mulie at around 300 yds right behind the shoulder. Got about 1-1/2 - 2" of penetration and ended up chasing him for a couple of hours. I was lucky to find him. I still have the same box of Gamekings sitting on the shelf, haven't touched them since. I have been having a hard time deciding what bullet to use in my 300 RUM but will probably stay with the 200 AB's. All in all, I really like them and the BC's are decent. Wish I could shed some light on the tips, not too sure why that is happening. Were they all from the same lot, you could get a bad lot I guess.

6. Magnum61

Yeah they were coming from the same lot. I'm trying to decide on a second bullet just in case.

I was kicking around the idea of 210 Bergers but I really don't know much on their hunting ability in SUB 300 RUM type cartridges.

I know a guy that has killed a few elk past a 1000 with that combo but the 200 Accubond is working well for me so far. I just haven't heard much of anything on that bullet killing past 600yds except for my antelope at 610 this year.

7. Moman

Moman Well-Known Member

You should report it to Nosler. That's info they need to hear about and they'll probably replace them for you.