2006 Lope

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Takman, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Takman

Takman Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Finally, I figured out how to post pic. Now the detail. Went to Wyoming for first antelope hunt. Had a blast. This is also my longest kill to date, 656 yards. first morning out three of us set out in windy conditions(so what's new in Wyoming) and within first hour bump into 3 lopes, one a buck. We glass him over and decide he is a shooter.(My first antelope hunt and I am relying on my partners judgement who have been there done that. Also I had modest expectations and wanted what in my eyes is a representative of the species.) We move to our left at the advice of my spotter, so that we are facing directly into the wind.(Worked out perfect for the shot.)We crawl 30 yards out onto bluff and I drop pack and spotter and I range at 450yds. As I set up buck starts to feed away, 500,550,600 and finally at 656yds stops and quarters away. I put crosshair behind the back rib and about halfway up the animal, check clicks, and touch the 300RUM off. Spotter thinks I missed high as there is dust behind the animal, but he only takes a few steps and starts the I'm headed to the freezer dance and drops stone dead. The 180 BT hit right behind the back rib where I aimed and exited the far shoulder. Lungs were wiped out. Had just as much fun spotting for my two buddies and setting up the next three days.

2. srhaggerty

srhaggerty Well-Known Member

What are the specs on that stick? I like the color of that stock.

Congrats on the fine animal.

3. Takman

Takman Well-Known Member

Rem 700 trued and factory trigger adjusted to 2.5 lbs. 26" 1-12 twist #4 Hart barrel bedded to a McMillan sporter 50% forest, 25% black, 25% white swirl. Factory bottom metal. Barrel bead blasted snakeskin.

4. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

Great story. Congrats!

5. Mountainsheep

Mountainsheep Well-Known Member

Takman,

Nice picture & good story. Congratulations on your hunt, that is a good-looking buck and some fine shooting.

Dave

6. Slopeshunter

Slopeshunter Well-Known Member

Nice lope, thanks for sharing!

7. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Great picture and congratulations on your hunt.

8. JD338

JD338 Well-Known Member

Takman,

Congratulations on a nice goat and shot. Thanks for the story and picture. Nice looking rifle too. What part of WY were you hunting?

JD338

9. Jimm

Jimm Writers Guild

Tak , you the man ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    We move to our left at the advice of my spotter, so that we are facing directly into the wind.(Worked out perfect for the shot.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Also that was very good advice from your spotter.

Nice goat , great shot and even better you had a blast . Did you try to buy some leftover doe tags ( 29 dollars each ) so you could do it again before you had to come home ?

Jim B

10. Takman

Takman Well-Known Member

We were headed to Colorado after the three days and my one buddy was having a little trouble getting on one. We were in southeast Wyoming. I will be back to Wyoming to chase those speedsters again.

11. highlanderll

highlanderll Active Member

Very Nice, Great Pic too.

One of these day's I am going to shoot one of those little critters.

Congrat's
    Brian Anchorage Alaska

12. Takman

Takman Well-Known Member

Brian, One of the most relaxing hunts I have been on. Give it a whirl. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

13. Stormrider

Stormrider Well-Known Member

Congtats on your goat, Takman.
    Speedgoats are the most fun hunting I have ever been done. Mine have always been 200y or less, though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

14. Takman

Takman Well-Known Member

Thanks Stormrider. Short or long distance don't matter, just fun hunting.