2006 Tom

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Huntinfool, May 4, 2006.

1. Huntinfool

Huntinfool Well-Known Member

As Sambo3006 said not exactly long range stuff but it's in season.

Here's the turkey I shot last Sat. morning at 10:30 he gobbled once about 400 yards away or more. I called aggressively with long pauses between calls. He came in silently and I shot him in the head and neck at 35 yards. (I checked after the shot with a laser rangefinder!).

Shot with Browning Gold Hunter 12 gauge 3 1/2" magnum #4 Heavy Shot standard full choke. DOA did nothing but flop at the shot!

He weighed 18 pounds on a certified set of scales. (Town & Country feed store) Had a 9&3/4" beard & 1" spurs.

[​IMG]

Chuck

2. lerch

lerch <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

Nice bird,

looks like some good fryin!!!!

steve

3. ATH

ATH Well-Known Member

Awesome. No birds responded to my calls yet and only 2 hens came in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. Huntinfool

Huntinfool Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Nice bird,

looks like some good fryin!!!!

steve

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes he was good! Sadly he's gone!

Chuck

5. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

I spent the morning out in western Maryland and didn't get a single response. Same place that on Tuesday I had five gobblers talking to me at once. Decided to call it quits about 11:30 and was driving down the road and there he was in the middle of the road. I gunned the motor but he jumped the ditch up onto the bank and gave me a nasty look as I went by. Time was 11:54 and just no use in trying to stop and call him.

Glad you had better luck than me.

6. BrandonA

BrandonA Well-Known Member

Nice looking bird! here is a Rio Grande I took earlier this season in california

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. huntem

huntem Well-Known Member

Nice birds..I'd like to shoot something other than the eastern birds we have here in PA

8. sambo3006

sambo3006 Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the nice birds, guys! I'm glad I got mine when I did, as we have had some much needed rain off and on for the last week and a half. I managed to get out on the nice days and only got rained on a little bit. Keep the pics comin!