1st Focal Plane Reticle

Look up Wotac and Falcon Menace Scopes on Google to see some very affordable scopes witch have a big following in the long range shooting sports

joseph.

Look up Wotac and Falcon Menace Scopes on Google to see some very affordable scopes witch have a big following in the long range shooting sports

joseph.

I must be looking in the wrong places. I cant find much info about these scopes.

Can you point me to the specs, who makes them, who services them, etc...?

Thanks!

Edit: OK I found them.

Also found this:

Update 2010 Unfortunately it appears that I have still yet to find a scope with Chinese sourced parts that will hold up and it appears there is a reason Falcon only has a 5 year warranty on these scopes. The failures continue which include separated tubes, flakes on the lenses, canted reticles and some other more minor issues like continued softer clicks. Falcon has been good about honoring their warranty, and we commend them for that, but the scopes have not been holding up well.

Last edited:
Forgot all about Wonder Optics. I was waiting on them putting out a 40mm objective to try. They never did so I went with a vortex.

I LOVE it when some ones defends SFP by saying they donot use a FFP and see no reason to change to FFP .

Thats because YOU have NO experience at all using FFP , because IF you had you would be a convert ,

FFP is better that SFP , because FFP has lots of practical advantages over SFP .

FFP is simplier & quicker & more intuitive to use .

As to moa /mrad , they are both angular means of measurement , however , 0.1 mrad adjustments are simply neither Too cousre or too fine .

As far as adjustments go here's a comparision :

Clicks Adjustment @ 100yds
1 moa 1.00 inche
1/2 moa 0.50 inche
1/4 moa 0.25 inche
0.1mrad 0.358 inche or 9.09 mm

So as you can see the 0.1mrad/mil adjustments , are a very good compromise , and even better when you look at the amount of elevation you can get per single turn on some of the Tac scopes .

And even if you HAVE no need for all the reasons of the FFP being vastly better , Opps , may be , YOU would be interested in ONE that saves you a lot of money in wasted ammo .

When you zero a FFP scope or adjust one in the field after missing the tgt , all you do is measure the difference with your reticle & then crank that setting on to your knobs & you are done , ( this presume's you have speced your scope to have the same adjustments as your reticle , ie mil/mil or moa/moa AND NOT mil/moa )

FFP scopes are so easy & fast to zero & set in the field , IF you chose NOT to use FFP , you are making it harder on your self .

After having made the more to FFP mil/mil scopes , I donot want to go back ever , the only negative thing concerning FFP at the moment is generally the extra cost involved in a FFP vs SFP
scope .

The quickness of zeroing these scopes is a great practical bentifit , in both time & money , as it is in quick follow up shots , either in aim off or cranking .

Later Chris

1 moa 1.00 inche
1/2 moa 0.50 inche
1/4 moa 0.25 inche

So as you can see the 0.1mrad/mil adjustments , are a very good compromise , and even better when you look at the amount of elevation you can get per single turn on some of the Tac scopes .

Later Chris

I agree with your post in general, but your numbers are a bit off for MOA

1 MOA= 1.0472 inches
1/4 MOA = .2618
1/2 MOA = .5236
3/4 MOA = .7854

These are 100 yards measurements...

US Optics uses IPHY not true moa. 1 Inch per hundred. I would guess a few others
do as well. I shot mil for years and have gone to moa / moa. Much simpler math if
you ever have to do it in your head.

US Optics uses IPHY not true moa. 1 Inch per hundred. I would guess a few others
do as well. I shot mil for years and have gone to moa / moa. Much simpler math if
you ever have to do it in your head.

How is it more simple? A mill is diveded into tenths and is divisable by 10. now that is simple. A mill is an angular measurement just like MOA. A mill is diveded inot ten part and a MOA is diveded into 4 or 8 part, it is much simpler with a division of 10

Yes many scope do use IPHY (inches per hundred yards) instead of true Minute of angle (MOA), but that does not change the dimensions of a MOA

Easy there bro... no need to get the undies all knotted up :)

My response in bold..

I LOVE it when some ones defends SFP by saying they donot use a FFP and see no reason to change to FFP .

Thats because YOU have NO experience at all using FFP , because IF you had you would be a convert , No I wouldn't. One reason I don't like FFP scopes is they are too busy on lower powers and that is where my scope is usually set until I need to shoot and the shot is several hundred yards away. I choose the NP-R2 reticle over the NP-R1 for the same reason. That's just me. I like things uncluttered. The biggest reason I will not become a convert is the extra $$$.

FFP is better that SFP , because FFP has lots of practical advantages over SFP .

FFP is simplier & quicker & more intuitive to use . The only time it would simpler to use for me is if I had to make a LR shot on low power (for mirage) and I didn't have the time to dial it. That combo of circumstances would almost never occur. If I have the the time to get the dope for the shot I should have another 5-10 secinds to dial it in.

As to moa /mrad , they are both angular means of measurement , however , 0.1 mrad adjustments are simply neither Too cousre or too fine .

1 moa 1.00 inche
1/2 moa 0.50 inche
1/4 moa 0.25 inche

So as you can see the 0.1mrad/mil adjustments , are a very good compromise , and even better when you look at the amount of elevation you can get per single turn on some of the Tac scopes . I like 1/4 MOA clicks. They are perfect for me.

And even if you HAVE no need for all the reasons of the FFP being vastly better , Opps , may be , YOU would be interested in ONE that saves you a lot of money in wasted ammo .

When you zero a FFP scope or adjust one in the field after missing the tgt , all you do is measure the difference with your reticle & then crank that setting on to your knobs & you are done , ( this presume's you have speced your scope to have the same adjustments as your reticle , ie mil/mil or moa/moa AND NOT mil/moa ) I have never wasted any ammo for this reason. If I'm adjusting my zero in the field, then something aint right and I should be thinking twice about taking a LR shot. And if for some reason I do have to do this I will ALWAYS be on high power which is the same for the FFP. No advantage there. None.

FFP scopes are so easy & fast to zero & set in the field , IF you chose NOT to use FFP , you are making it harder on your self . Nahhh

After having made the more to FFP mil/mil scopes , I donot want to go back ever , the only negative thing concerning FFP at the moment is generally the extra cost involved in a FFP vs SFP scope . That's a big thing for me. I'll step up in scope quality before paying the extra $$$ for an FFP. IMO, it's a much better investment.

The quickness of zeroing these scopes is a great practical bentifit , in both time & money , as it is in quick follow up shots , either in aim off or cranking .
I ALWAYS zero and target shoot on high power.

All you guys and gals who love your FFP, may you have many happy days shooting through them. I'll stick with my SFP gun)

Later Chris

Later... have a good one :)

How is it more simple? A mill is diveded into tenths and is divisable by 10. now that is simple. A mill is an angular measurement just like MOA. A mill is diveded inot ten part and a MOA is diveded into 4 or 8 part, it is much simpler with a division of 10

Yes many scope do use IPHY (inches per hundred yards) instead of true Minute of angle (MOA), but that does not change the dimensions of a MOA

Look at the two formulas and it will become very apparent.

Height of Target (inches) x 27.78 = Distance to Target (yards)
mils

Height of Target (inches) x 100 = Distance to Target (yards)
s- moa

Today we have a much better way to range than by useing a reticle and it is called a "laser range finder". Much more accurate and no math required

1 ) I donot wear undies

2 ) Most seem to have missed the main point , some one giving advice on some thing they have NEVER used , ie no experience to base any opinion on , Opps , other than gunshop mags .

3 ) I did not , But was going to say some people may be trying to justify that for them the SPF is better/superior in function , when in the back of their mind its actually the extra cost that stops them from buying a top FFP scope .

I am Too old to get bent over anything , just find some things quite amusing .

Cheers CHris

Man I really need to do my research. Based on what I've seen I really want to go FFP but the price is steep and I want a really high power scope.

What are the feelings on Vortex? Worth the money?

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.