1st Focal Plane Reticle

My rangefinder ranges through falling snow farther than I can see through the scope.

My Leica 1200 CRF does not do well at all in snow. But that said, I would not use range finding as determiner in choosing between MOA and Mil. I simply prefer MOA. I like 1/4 MOA clicks. I like thinking in MOA. and i like the reticle sub tensions better - I don't like dots. Mostly subjective stuff.

1 ) I donot wear undies

Didn't mean to be personal, just an expression :) You came off to me as a little extra excited about it.

2 ) Most seem to have missed the main point , some one giving advice on some thing they have NEVER used , ie no experience to base any opinion on , Opps , other than gunshop mags .

In this case I dont think personal experience is all that important. Reason being... The stated advantages are simply not advantages - not the way I hunt, zero etc. That's just a fact.

The only advantage I see, as I stated before, is if in the very rare circumstance, I was forced to shoot on low power due to mirage, and I did not have time to dial in the dope. Mirage can be a fairly common issue, but in setting up for a long shot, it takes a fair amount of time to range, get set up, and calculate the dope. Dialing in the dope is a small part of that time and missing the opportunity for that extra 5-10 seconds would be rare. Things are usually hurried or not. When hurried, you're probably going miss the opportunity anyway. The chances of these to things happening at the same time would be slim. This is the only practical advantage I see too the FFP

3 ) I did not , But was going to say some people may be trying to justify that for them the SPF is better/superior in function , when in the back of their mind its actually the extra cost that stops them from buying a top FFP scope .

I'm not saying that the SFP is better in function. I'm saying that FFP isn't any better than the SFP for practical hunting, other than on the very rare situation mentioned. It therefore does not justify the extra cost IMO. And even if they were the same price, i would still go with the SFP, simply because I do not like the small, busy look of the reticle on low power - purely subjective.

I am Too old to get bent over anything , just find some things quite amusing .

The older I get, the more bent over I get after a long days hunt :cool:

Cheers CHris

Cheers :)

How about fog if so what brand ?

It seems to me that the bigger beam of divergence (usually cheaper, less accurate rangefinders) ranges farther in the snow than smaller beam of divergence (usually cost more, more accurate) don't do well with falling objects in the way(rain/snow).

Has the Vortex Viper PST FFP came out yet?

Also IOR has a good FFP scope for about $1600. My second choice over the Viper PST.

It seems to me that the bigger beam of divergence (usually cheaper, less accurate rangefinders) ranges farther in the snow than smaller beam of divergence (usually cost more, more accurate) don't do well with falling objects in the way(rain/snow).

Has the Vortex Viper PST FFP came out yet?

Also IOR has a good FFP scope for about $1600. My second choice over the Viper PST.

The vortex viper pst FFP scope will not be ship to dealers till june 15. It dosn't mader to me because it will go to my gun smith where i am getting my 7mm 111 long range savage ship to so he can true everything up. Plus put Ken Farrel 20 moa g-Force base and tactical rings and mont the scope. This rifle will be for my grandson to hunt with. That way i can hunt with my 338 ax. last year his first year hunting he got a realy nice mulie at 570 yards with the 338ax. I will work up a load to shoot out to a 1,000 yards and build a drop cart for him. The best price for a viper is scott at liberty opt. Joe

Last edited:
How about fog if so what brand ?
It burns through fog as well--you literally will have no idea what you're ranging if it's thick enough because you can't see it at all. If you can see it, you can range it. It's the Newcon 3000 Pro.
No, it's the opposite. The smaller the beam divergence the better. However this is not the only factor at play. If you have a weak, dim laser with small beam divergence, you still have a weak, dim laser that will be easily blocked. The 3000 Pro has both a small beam divergence and an extremely bright, powerful laser.

No, it's the opposite. The smaller the beam divergence the better. However this is not the only factor at play. If you have a weak, dim laser with small beam divergence, you still have a weak, dim laser that will be easily blocked. The 3000 Pro has both a small beam divergence and an extremely bright, powerful laser.

I was thinking bushnell 1500 and leica 1200.

Thanks for chiming in.

At nearly 2000.00 I would want it to range through trees and get my morning paper.
I would like to see one used in some of the snow storms I have shot antelope and elk
in. If it is better than a Leica or Swaro that is saying something. One antelope I passed
on years ago was in the fog. I thought it was the cold that made my rangefinder fail
not the fog. ?? I passed on the shot due to not knowing what was behind him. The
Mils put him at 300 which I later confirmed.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.