1st build thanks

mooretitan

I have been reading on this site for awhile now and from everything I read decided why not let's build a rifle. I started with a cabelas special savage model 11 hunter xp. Got it for $350 so even if I had to put it in the trash at the end of the day I would not be out much.
Got and h-s stock and with a few small adjustment got everything fitted. Picked up a new barrel nut and shilen 1-8 select match 260 barrel and figured out how to use the go and no go gage. Put a new trigger in and scoped it with a Nikon 6-18.

A few small problems here and there but feel the next time around it will be a lot easier

Took it to the range a few days ago with a box of factory 120 grain nosler bt to break the barrel in. First 5 shots were to get on paper and clean after each shot. Next 5 shots were its 1st group at 100 yards and the group measured .762. Cleaned it and took it to 300 and group measured 3.5inches. I think I must have done something wrong. 1st two shots touched and the next three were about two inches higher but measured 1.43. Cleaned and brought it back to 100 yards for the last group. Measured .863. Shots 1 and 5 same hole. Shots 2-4 same hole but about a 1/2 inch higher.

Anyways if it wasn't for this site I would have never attempted it.
I have 200 rounds of brass and different powders. If I can get some barnes to shot under .5 inch moa. I will be pretty darn happy

Thanks

If I understand your build correctly you have a Savage 11 action in .260 on a Shilen 1:8 barrel mounted in a HS stock. Which HS stock? Is the action bedded? Are your test groups off a rest, sandbags, bipod ??? Are you using a butt bag? What's the MV, SD and ES of your load? Assuming the barrel is free floated, what's the stock channel to barrel clearance?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.