1903a3 smith corona, how did i do

Oldschool280

Found a smithcorona , with four land barrel, excellent crown and throat. Dinged furniture but not cracked. Bolt has remington r instead of smith corona x . Paid $350 what do ya think. Did i buy an expensive paddle?

Found a smithcorona , with four land barrel, excellent crown and throat. Dinged furniture but not cracked. Bolt has remington r instead of smith corona x . Paid $350 what do ya think. Did i buy an expensive paddle?

I think you did excellent. I looked at one like you described last year, it was priced $7-800. They vary greatly in price, but if she shoots well then I think you got a steal.

One area where you did mess up.... you didn't post pictures

The barrel is marked. Nearest the sight post, S C then a funny looking stamp that looks like a cloud below it, and below that is 2-43.
I did have plans of headspacing before firing, i appreciate the heads up. Looking at some info in the web, it appears these rifles were made in 42-43 . I'm thinking the barrel is original? At first i thought it was an arsenal rebuild but a rebuild the same year they were made? either way i felt good about the purchase and now i feel better after talking to you guys.

The barrel is marked. Nearest the sight post, S C then a funny looking stamp that looks like a cloud below it, and below that is 2-43.
I did have plans of headspacing before firing, i appreciate the heads up. Looking at some info in the web, it appears these rifles were made in 42-43 . I'm thinking the barrel is original? At first i thought it was an arsenal rebuild but a rebuild the same year they were made? either way i felt good about the purchase and now i feel better after talking to you guys.
That "little cloud", as you call it, is the flaming bomb ordnance mark. If the bolt isn't Smith Corona it's a rebuild. Maybe not an arsenal rebuild, but a rebuild none the less. During arsenal rebuilds the barrel wasn't changed out if it didn't need to be. That date on the barrel is just the date it (the barrel) was made and passed ordnance inspection, not the date it was installed. Ya', it kind of a 'find' at the price you paid, but I'd not get too excited..... There's hardly a Springfield, Garand or Cabine that's out in general circulation that's not been rebuilt at least once. The "original, never issued, from the ordnance plant" were the very few given to important politicians, Generals and now reside in museums. I know mines a shooter as it was properly cared for before it came into my hands from the CMP. I've used it to shoot several CMP and military bolt action matches in the past. In other words, the barrel's not a 'rusty piece of junk' like is found on so many imported military rifles. The 03's have a superior sighting system, too.

Like has been said many of these rifles have been rebuilt at the arsenal but some have been put together by Bubba Hacksaw Smith. Be sure and have it checked out by a competent gunsmith. I have three of these 1903A3s. Two are SC and one is a Rem with a two groove barrel and it is the most accurate of the three and the other two are no slouches. Got one SC from the CMP. I picked up the other two from the same place. Walked into a friends gun shop in NC where I take three weeks every year and go deer hunting. Back in his repair shop part sat these two rifles. They had a bit of surface rust on them. I help him fix and clean rifles while there in my off time so I asked if I could clean these rifles up. He said sure. Once I got into them the bores looked new and the Rem. really did not look like it had even been shot because of no wear marks on the bolt face and follower. I ended up purchasing these rifles for $400 each.
Story of how he came to get them. A fellow he knew came in with them wanting to sale them. He found them in the closet of his father's house while cleaning out the house to sale it after his father had died. He said that his father had been a truck driver on the Red Ball Express during WWII. He was a black man. He said that he remembered hearing his father say that he brought two rifles home with him from the Army. Apparently these were the rifles.
Yes you did well in your purchase. Most any 03A3 goes over $600.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.