185 vs 190 30cal Bergers

gcamp54

Has anyone done a comparison between the 30cal 185vld vs the 190vld Hunting bullets? I'm trying to decide if I want to start with the 185s or 190s out of my 300 win mag and 300 wsm.

Gordon

I have shot both. Just depends on which one your gun likes best. My 300 wsm likes the 185 the best. I have other guns that like the 190 best. All equal the 190 is probably the best choice because of the bc jump with very little velocity difference.

I had intentions of doing a comparison between them this fall but it didn't come together. The main reason I was going to try them was to see if the terminal performance of the 185 would be better than the 190, the 185 has a larger meplat which I think may help to get the bullet to open up on hits in softer spots like through the back of the lungs or high though the lungs which I've seen a couple pencil through on the 210 with the same meplat as the 190.

I was going to do a comparison but when I went to buy the bullets the store was sold out of 185s but they had the 190s and when the very first load put three threw the same hole I stopped shopping and started stalking up.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.