Berger 30 Cal. 185 vs. 190

Firecat

I am wanting to find a new bullet for a 300 Win Mag. I am looking towards one of the two bullets listed here. It seems that the 185 grain bullet is hugely more popular than the 190. However, the 190 seems to have significantly better BC and actually has less bearing surface. This would lead me to believe that It could be fired at either similar velocity or slightly better. That being said there must be a reason that the 185 seems to be more popular. Does anyone have any experience with either or both of these? I have no doubt that these would be a good choice. But, Is there something better? The rifle is a factory 300 win mag with a 24 inch barrel.

I have used both in a .300 RUM. The max load was the same powder charge. The 190gr was nearly 150fps slower. They both were accurate. Gary Campbell

Firecat, those are both excellent bullet choices for your 300 Win. Not sure but I assume you were referring to Berger's 185 and 190 VLD's? The first question I have for you is how far are you intending to shoot at game with this rifle? What are you LR goals? I helped a friend just recently make a bullet selection for his 300 Winchester. His goal was to extend his range as far as possible in order to have maximum energy on elk. We went with Berger's new 215 Hybrid and at sea level this will give him adequate energy to take elk to about 950 yards. We found this bullet to be the most efficient choice to put max energy/velocity on target inside of 1000 yards. If your max range may be say 500-600 yards then I would recommend the new Berger 185 Hybrid. It will shoot very flat and buck wind well with it's .569 B/C coupled with good velocity from your 300. The 185 Hybrid has a better B/C than the 185 hunting VLD and the same B/C as the 190 hunting VLD. You should also get better velocity out of the Hybrid as it has a shorter bearing surface than the 185 VLD. Just my 2cents, hope this helps:)

I tried the 185 grain bullets in my 300. Wsm and they were pretty good, would have liked to try to 190's as well but didn't. I am having a 300. Win mag built now and I just ordered some h1000 and Berger 210 to make a good combo

I'm still working with this rifle to find out what it's capabilities are. It will definitely be use for an elk gun. Where it's factory it may e limited in its long range potential. Time will tell. I have a couple bone stock rifles that I bought locally that are certainly capable of 1000 yards from actual field testing. If it will shoot to 700 yards I'll be happy.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.