30cal VS 338cal

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by dakor, Apr 9, 2005.

1. dakor

dakor Well-Known Member

Can anyone give me some real life Experience of these two cals and tell me if there is a difference in killing power on big game animals if all things were almost equal. I guess what I am asking is can someone say that a 338 Win with a 225 grain Bullet will perform better at 0 to 1000 yards on a ELK then a 300 Win Mag using a 225 grain bullet? I know some say the frontal area can make a difference but has anyone Experienced that on Big game animals?

2. 3sixbits

3sixbits Well-Known Member

The .338 WINmag does have a much higher kill factor than the .300 WINmag on my shoulder. I can not shoot the .338 WINmag without a flinch. I have had two and both hurt me more than shooting my .375 H&H's with 50 grain heavier bullets. That sharp shoulder short bastard hurts me to shoot.

3. ricka0

ricka0 Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I can not shoot the .338 WINmag without a flinch.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I thought that's what muzzle breaks were for.
    My BAR 338 Win Mag with BOSS break kicks less than my .243
    We all agree shot placement is the most important - if I wasn't using a break a 300 would have far more killing power as I would flinch less.
    A 300 WinMag will do fine on elk - get what you want. My brother used to shoot elk with his .243 until he got a 30-06

Any experiences would be personal anecdotes.

The excellent ballistics software Klinkers shows the Taylor index (killing power). IMAO it understates hi vel cartridges - but that's just my opinion. Like klinkers said: it will show you a .243 is not suitable for Griz

The Taylor Index - A Measure of Stopping Power

4. dakor

dakor Well-Known Member

Well it does not look like anyone here is going to say one kills better than the other so I will just add another 300 Win to my Gun Cabinet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif