17HMR for hunting.

Hello All,

I am sure this thread will generate some very opinionated posts...I recently purchased a Marlin917V topped off with a Redfield 3-9X40 AccuRange reticle. I'll be using Hornady's 17g V-Max exclusively. A Couple of questions here:

1. What type of range can I expect out of this accurately?
2. Are there any downsides to hunting small game within 100 yards? (like the bullet going straight thru without causing major damage)
3. What is the largest animal that can be taken with this setup? I am thinking I may be able to get some small coyotes within 100yards...

I plan on huntin' with this out to 200 yards depending on weather conditions, is this a better system than say a .204 Ruger (considering costs and whatnot)? Thanks.

I have shot squirrels and a few coyotes with my 17. I've taken a few squirrels at about 100 yds and the results were devastating, the closest was about 7 yds. I would highly suggest taking only head shots, unless you don't plan on eating them.

As long as its legal (no caliber restriction) GO for it.
Like Jarhead said, there Devistating on squirels/sage rat size game. Theres almost nothing left. at least nothing useable/eatible from a few paces to 150+:D
Be warned tho a quick squriel could turn and fart and blow that little 17 cal bullet 4 feet off course:D It doesnt take much wind at all to render them useless at long range.
As far as coyotes, I have a couple of credible buddys that claim to have smoked a couple just past 100 and killed them cleanly, but I havent whitnessed it in person.
Very accurate and fun, especially compared to a 22 at longer ranges, as long as theres NO WIND.
Youll love it

Ditto.

I run a Ruger 77/17 varmint and it is awesome on ground squirrrels out to about 100. I've plinked out to 300 but the 17gn bullet is just to light to be predictable.

For coyotes, I'd personally go bigger. It can be done but shot placement is more critical.

Hello All,

I am sure this thread will generate some very opinionated posts...I recently purchased a Marlin917V topped off with a Redfield 3-9X40 AccuRange reticle. I'll be using Hornady's 17g V-Max exclusively. A Couple of questions here:

1. What type of range can I expect out of this accurately?
2. Are there any downsides to hunting small game within 100 yards? (like the bullet going straight thru without causing major damage)
3. What is the largest animal that can be taken with this setup? I am thinking I may be able to get some small coyotes within 100yards...

I plan on huntin' with this out to 200 yards depending on weather conditions, is this a better system than say a .204 Ruger (considering costs and whatnot)? Thanks.

As said earlier i would not shoot any squirrels anywhere but the head. The little bullet is devistating when it hits small game. Range well i would not Expect to hit anything over 125-150yds and the largest animal i would say would be a fox or small coyote. And to answer your last question. If i had a choice i would go with the 204 any day of the week.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts