Ruger 77/17 17HMR Range & Field Report

1100 Remington Man

Well went to range yesterday wind was very light. My Ruger 77/17 VMBBZ 17 HMR with 3x9 40mm Burris FF E1 scope shot 50 yds 5 shot groups .98 .371 .767 average .707 at 50 yds at 100 yds .937 .976 .985 all groups shot with Hornady 17gr V-MAX. Some things I saw in my groups was some groups were horrizonal and another vertical just like a line holes and on some that one flyer that would open up groups don't know if it was me or rifle or to much Coffee. I also notice bolt lift was harder on some shots than others all most like a hot load. I am going to try other loads & brands or lots just to see what happens
Field report on Ruger 77/17 VMBBZ 17 HMR great rifle worked flawless & the clips are great. Thoughts on .17 HMR out to 100yds on Praire Dogs worked great' at 150yds kills just worked fine dogs fell over and kicked a few times' beyond 150yds to 200 you could hit them and knock them over and they would kick a few times & run into there holes to die. So for me 150yds is realy the limit for the 17 HMR but was my first trip with the 17 HMR. The Burris FF E1 3x9 40mm worked great and reticle worked perfect nice size not to course & balistic plex was great useing the wind marks for hold off. only thing I would change on scope would be power ring outside diameter should be reduced my rifle Ruger 77/17 VMBBZ bolt can just kiss on max bolt lift and rifle came with high rings I would also change caps on windage & elevation knobs make them more slim. I think Burris is trying to make them look like target turrets. Overall impressions I was going to buy Remington 547 17 HMR but the deal on gunbroker.com fell through & I ended up with the Ruger 77/17 17 HMR no regrets a great rifle would buy again Burris scope is great buy at $ 200.00 Good Hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.