17 hornet on NE coyotes

CNY Yote Hunter

Was hoping for some input on the 17 hornet and big northern Ny coyotes. I have had only 2 experiences with th hornet and yotes, both dogs downed. One was around 90 yards and 1 was 130 or so yards. Both were shot with factory 20 grain vmax. Both not impressive. 90 yard dog dropped, thought it was downed but after I shot the 2nd one and it ran off I looked back at the 1st one to see it trying to stand but could not. Shot it again and no difference, thought I missed until it got skinned. Shot it a 3rd time and it was still trying to stand! I wanted to break the gun at this point I was so disgusted. 1 in the head at this point cause it already had a ton of holes and it was over. Walking out to the other one, found blood and trailed him almost 300 yards, paicing it out. Dog was still alive as well! Another headshot, mange so didnt care. Anyways I was disgusted. Went back to the 1st one and found my 1st shot was a splash off the shoulder blade, softball size hole on the entrance, after skinning found the other holes right where I placed the shots. So the 20 grain vmax in 17 hornet are not a good choice in my opinion. In NYS the only rifles allowed in southern zone while deer is open is a 17 hornet, 17 rem or 204 ruger. I picked up some 25 grain hornady hp's and loaded them for the 17 cause I have seen some forums with great results. I will be trying them on some yotes this weekend if they choose to cooperate and will post results, is anyone else hunting yotes with a 17 hornet and what combos are you seeing best results with? I love the round and would hate to get rid of it for a 204 but am having doubts, 17 rem is impossible to come by in these parts...

Was hoping for some input on the 17 hornet and big northern Ny coyotes. I have had only 2 experiences with th hornet and yotes, both dogs downed. One was around 90 yards and 1 was 130 or so yards. Both were shot with factory 20 grain vmax. Both not impressive. 90 yard dog dropped, thought it was downed but after I shot the 2nd one and it ran off I looked back at the 1st one to see it trying to stand but could not. Shot it again and no difference, thought I missed until it got skinned. Shot it a 3rd time and it was still trying to stand! I wanted to break the gun at this point I was so disgusted. 1 in the head at this point cause it already had a ton of holes and it was over. Walking out to the other one, found blood and trailed him almost 300 yards, paicing it out. Dog was still alive as well! Another headshot, mange so didnt care. Anyways I was disgusted. Went back to the 1st one and found my 1st shot was a splash off the shoulder blade, softball size hole on the entrance, after skinning found the other holes right where I placed the shots. So the 20 grain vmax in 17 hornet are not a good choice in my opinion. In NYS the only rifles allowed in southern zone while deer is open is a 17 hornet, 17 rem or 204 ruger. I picked up some 25 grain hornady hp's and loaded them for the 17 cause I have seen some forums with great results. I will be trying them on some yotes this weekend if they choose to cooperate and will post results, is anyone else hunting yotes with a 17 hornet and what combos are you seeing best results with? I love the round and would hate to get rid of it for a 204 but am having doubts, 17 rem is impossible to come by in these parts...

i have killed a lot of dogs with the 204 - never lost one or had an experience like you described with it. I would dump the 17 and get a 204.

Ive killed several coyotes with my 17 hornet, all under 100 yards. The best bullet performance was the 25 gr hp load from hornady. I had intended to load up and try the 25 gr bergers but never got around to it and sold the rifle. Under 100 yards I think the 25 gr hp will do you well in the hornet. Beyond 100 Id say get a 204 and run the 35 gr bergers

I have shot and killed more coyotes with my 12 gauge loads of #4 buck than any of my 222 or 204's. I tried copper plated BB's with filler with poor results and the buck will just roll them over and that's where they stay. All handloads mind you. The buck will shoot through 3/4" plywood at 90 yards. My little 204 Howa sits by my door and works great out to 250 or so and if they are out side of that there are others to do the job.

Thanks for the replies and info! I am going to try for some this weekend and keep the shots within 100 with the 25 hp's I loaded. Looking like the 204 is on the list now for a new gun. Wish NYS would allow bigger calibers during deer season but they dont. I have a 22-250 I use after deer season is closed or a 6mm that is my favorite for them, not fur friendly though lol. Thanks again for the feedback

I have two CZ 527 17 Hornets, they're a really fun little gun and I love mine, BUT, they'd never be my first choice for shooting yotes. Yes, they'll certainly kill a coyote but IMO they're a tad light and there is just a lot better options to use. I used to have a CZ 527 in 204 as well, in fact I sold it about a year ago to a buddy of mine, he's been slaying coyotes with it since and loves it.

I do not know how fast your MV is, and I do not have a clue how thin the jacket is on your bullet, but Varmint bullets tend to have very thin jackets. That makes them explode on contact yielding shallow wounds at speeds over 2200-2500 FPS. So I would try to place the bullet behind the shoulder blade where a lung shot will certainly be fatal, if not instantly. I have shot two or three of the 'yotes and foxes around here in northern Illinois with a .17 HRM with devastating results. That bullet is just a plastic tip and metal jacket which explodes on contact making very shallow wounds. I do not autopsy the critters so have no clue how deep the bullet fragments went. One dog dropped like he was hit by a garbage truck and the other two ran off. I tracked them from good blood trails less than half an hour? Since I am disabled and do not keep track of things like that, I have no clue how far they went.
I have a friend who shoots his small Varmints with a .17 Rem using either any bullet weight that is on sale or the factory pill. It is so devastating they pop, or jump and hit the ground dead, never to move again! He does not complain about exit holes ruining the hide, so I assume he does not get T&Ts.

.17 Hornady Hornet?....been there, done that. I never shot/hunted coyotes with mine, but when used on our equally-tough big Eastern woodchucks they proved to be a joke — I swear I could almost hear them laughing as they ran off after being shot. Couldn't get rid of mine fast enough; a .22 Hornet pushing PSP bullets proved more lethal, but I'd still be leery of using any Hornet at much over a hundred yards on 'yotes. Sure would like a .19 Calhoon Hornet if I could afford one, but still not sure how his HP bullets would kill coyotes at a bit farther out.
I've had good luck on coyotes with either the 35 gr. Berger or 39 Sierra Blitzking out of 204Rs. I don't skin coyotes, so now I mostly use a .243 or beloved 6mm Rem. to blast those mangy mutts at longer ranges.

If your shots are maxed at 200 yards the 22 Hornet should fill your needs. If you're shooting out past 200 yards the 204 is a great round and downrange exceeds the venerable 22/250.I hunt with three calibers here ,22 long rifle,22 Hornet and 204 i kill coyotes drt with all three.

I have a 17 Hornet that I use for a dedicated bobcat rifle for calling at night..Kills them like lightning and at night I don't want to have to search for them, and I don't have to..

While I don't coyote hunt much,I have taken a couple with it without a problem.

No complaints,I like it.

3kaBxcG.jpg

What loads are you using? I've got some 25 grain hp's loaded but still havent been able to get out yet because of work! I'm hoping for better results using those

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.