168g vld success!!!

remingtonman_25_06

Opening weekend I went with my buddy up to the starkey unit. I was more worried about how my bullets are going to perform more then anything, so I let him use my rifle. I am using 168g vld's at 3000fps out of a rem 700 7 mag. Shoots pretty good out to 700 yards and I knew it would be a deer killer out to that distance if need be. Things started off pretty slow opening morning. We spent the majority glassing canyons. We saw only a couple does. Saturday evening my buddy took us over to a different canyon to overlook. Immediately I spotted about 4-5 deer across the little draw from us. There was 2 little forked horns. Since being we weren't seeing anything, my friend jumped on the opportunity. I ranged them at 178 yards. My buddy flipped the legs down on the harris bipod and settled in. He waited for the buck to turn broadside then "boom" wacked that sucker right behind the shoulder. The deer kicked, ran up the hill about 5 yards, then tumbled down about 10 yards. The 168g VLD berger passed completely through, leaving abouta 2 inch exit hole. Everything inbetween was completely shredded. From where we were sitting, we could see blood spraying out that exit hole like old faithfull, I've never seen anything like it, a blind man coulda foudn the 2 foot wide blood trail. All in all, I was happy with the performnace of the 168g VLD. I am still waiting for my buck. All I have seen is a couple small forks, I"m holding out for that monster!!! By the way, the other member is my new puppy. She is an Alaskan Mallamute. Just got her 2 weeks ago, she is adorable and had a blast her first time up in the mountains.

2iw3llz.jpg

4hnezau.jpg

25-06, looks like the 168 VLD did a number to the buck. Great pics, cool little pup, and good story. I hope you get your monster soon! Good luck!!

Wildcat

25-06,
Congratulations to you and your buddy for a great one-shot kill. Awesome performance from that 168 VLD. What is the b.c. of that bullet and what was the m.v.? I'm thinking that might be a good round for a 7mm Dakota. By the way, you picked a winner with that puppy, Malamutes are extremely loyal and dedicated, now she will want to go with you on all your hunts. Go nail that monster buck and post more pics. Good shootin',
Dave

That VLD did some damage¡¡¡ Congratulations on the hunt. I think the 7rm is still a great cartridge... also using one .

Nice buck and nice puppy.

Now a technical question to the readers: how can I make the post smaller so that I can see it in my screen without moving from side to side???

25-06,
Congrats... looks like the Bergers did the job!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mountainsheep,
the B.C. of the 168VLD id .648

Thanks for the comments guys. My friend was pretty excited. Pretty slow going for bucks around here. I"ve only seen a handfull of forked horns. I got till wednesday and will hit it hard.

Remingtonman,

Congratulations to you and your buddy. That 168 gr VLD is impressive. Good luck with your hunt and enjoy the pup.
Bow season here, I had 4 6 pt's under my tree yesterday @ 18 yds. Waiting for something bigger.

JD338

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.