168g vld claims victim #2

remingtonman_25_06

Wednesday was the last day of my hunt. I hadn't been seeing much of anything in the way of a nice buck so I told myself the first forked horn I would be shooting. I wanted a halfway long shot also to test out these 168g vld's, and to hopefully get something shot at decent range on video camera. Well my oppurtunity came yesterday evening. Me and a buddy went out glassing a canyon that I knew should be holding at least a couple little bucks. Started off by seeing about 3-4 does. After a couple minutes of glassing my friend spotted 3 deer down the canyon aways. I looked at them and could tell that 2 of them were forks. I was thinking perfect! I ranged them at 618 yards. I got my MK4 cranked up to 14x and then looked at my drop card to see where I needed to be click wise. After putting on the correct elevation, I checked for wind, which was pretty much zilch, so I left it alone. I had my buddy set up the video camera. For those that dont know, I'm shooting a rem 700 bdl in 7 RM, 168g VLD at 3000fps. It usually groups around 4" at 700 yards, so I knew it was more then up to this task at hand. The deer were just feeding, not caring about a thing in the world. So after everything was set, I let my friend know I would be taking the middle buck as soon as it stopped and turned broadside. As soon as it did, I sent a 168g vld whistling through the air. At the shot, I lost sight of the deer due to recoil, but I could hear the solid and confirming "thump." I regained enough to get the buck back in my sights and see him running downhill. He ran about 50 yards and piled up. Unfortunately, due to a series of events, I did not get pictures of the buck in the field, or of the entrance/exits of the bullet. For one, my digital camera doesn't work very well off regualar batteries. Bad time to find that out! Plus I shot this buck down in a canyon before dark so I knew we had our work cut out for us. I was mainly mad about my camera not working. Anyways, the 168g vld once again performed beautifully. Entrance was high shoulder shot, exit was offside shoulder. Exit was about 2 inches in diameter. I dont see how the buck ran 50 yards honestly. It shoudl have dropped in its tracks as far as I was concerned, but I wont complain. Hopefully I can get this video posted on here, but I dont have any idea as how to do it???

Nice job Remman, thats a pretty fair poke! Too bad about the pics, you always seem to have some nice bloody ones. Hopefully you'll get that video worked out one day.

Congrats

Remingtonman,

Congratulations! Nice shooting, as usual.
Too bad about the camera, hope you can post the video. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JD338

Great shot, great story.
Thanks for that one.
Hopefully, I will get a VLD load worked up for my 25-06 and see what kind of terminal performance I can get.
Good story.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.