1st kill with the 168g VLD

remingtonman_25_06

Last night I was able to put drops on my 7 mag out to 800 yards. It was shooting very well at 700. Anyways, my dad wanted to go yote hunting this morning so I figured I would bring the 7 mag in case one decided to show up on the other side of a wheatfield. We had just barely got started up a gravel road and I saw a dog running down the middle of it. I told my dad to step on it as the yote ran down into the ditch, then crossed up onto the bank. By the time my dad stopped, the yote was hauling butt. I got out and flipped the legs down on the bipod, I figured the shot to be about 100 yards was all, but no running yote is easy to hit. I led him a little to far, but connected on the 1st shot. The 168g VLD tore through his neck leaving a baseball size hole. This was the only one we seen for the day. The last 4 coyotes I've shot have all been under 100 yards, but have to admit, I'm thinning out the young and dumb ones /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The other pic is from my 7 mag last night. This was at 700 yards. The 2 shots above the white box were my last 2 shots. Above and to the right is a 3 shot group that was fired in 10-15 mph winds. The 2 shots measure 2.5", the 3 shots group measures 4". They were both shot off the bench. Also, I had a little fun on the steel plate. I was able to connect on 3-4. The 168g VLD does not go all the way through the 3/8" steel I have, but it sure does leave a crater!

281h56s.jpg

281hezn.jpg

281hkc7.jpg

Holy neck wounds! Coyote met Berger alright /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Is that a BDL? I see those and cringe, I'll never forget my dads BDL 7mm Mag giving me scope eye a couple decades ago.

sniperVLS- Yes its a BDL. Its a newer model that has the j lock. Funny thing is, the receiver has engraving on it, and the floorplate is engraved as well with a bighorn sheep on it. It has a very dark, high gloss wood stock. Pretty fancy model 700 if you ask me. I never seen one this nice, especially with the engraving. And the thing just shoots! When I was 12, my dad bought me a winchester sporter model 70, 7 mag, wood stock/blued barrel. Well at 12 years old, 160's loaded to book max were a little more then I could handle. I never got scoped, but the kick on that rifle was more then I liked. I sold it and got a Ruger 300 Win mag that did not seem to have such a violent kick to it. I then bought a winchester black shadow, 26" 7 mag at sportsmans last year. Gotta hella of a deal on it. I took it home, worked up a 140g btip load and it shot .5" at 3250fps. Well then my buddy decided he wanted to get rid of his 7 STW. He wanted my 7 mag, so I told him I would trade him straight across. His 7 STW was also a winchester classic model 70. Nice rifle, but it just did not shoot. It would always throw the 3rd shot. On that deal, I wished I woulda just kept the old 7 mag. So thats 2, 7 mags I've owned and let slip away. This is my 3rd, and I dont think I'll let this one get away from me.

Interesting..

I'd like to know what model you have that has the engraving. Did you buy it New? I'll do some digging and see if I can come up with something.

My dads BDL kicked like 3 mules, and I was 9 when my eye got hit.

Definitely don't let that one get away! It's definitely a beauty as can be seen from the pics.

remingtonman_25_06,
Do you think the yote was trying to bite the bullet? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I think he missed... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Good shooting!!!

Looks like that chupacabre thing people are talking about got after him!!! Nice shootin rem

steve

The Remington 700 with engraving you speak of is I called a "Custom Deluxe", I bought one in a 7 mm RUM and it had the engraving and the sheep on the floor plate that you guys are talking about. The factory box says Model 700 BDL "Custom Deluxe" and also reads enhanced receiver engraving. I have sent mine to Kirby to be made in to a 270 AM. The stock is very dark as well, I still have it here as I only shipped the barreled action to Kirby.

Thought you might want to know that little bit of info on your rifle. Nice shot on the coyote, doesn't look like it will be a great fur bullet!!! He is a good coyote, now.

[ QUOTE ]
The Remington 700 with engraving you speak of is I called a "Custom Deluxe", I bought one in a 7 mm RUM and it had the engraving and the sheep on the floor plate that you guys are talking about. The factory box says Model 700 BDL "Custom Deluxe" and also reads enhanced receiver engraving. I have sent mine to Kirby to be made in to a 270 AM. The stock is very dark as well, I still have it here as I only shipped the barreled action to Kirby.

Thought you might want to know that little bit of info on your rifle. Nice shot on the coyote, doesn't look like it will be a great fur bullet!!! He is a good coyote, now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info on the rifle.

I did not buy it new. I acquired it from a friend in a 3 way trade. I had to have it as soon as I saw it. Thanks for the info on the rifle. Its greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the comments as well guys. I have been shooting about every night this week checking everything out to 700-800. Tried hitting a jug tonight at 700, missed all 3 shots, but my dad said they all would have killed a deer they were that close. I'm thinking I need to work up a new load with the 168's already. I dont think I'm gonan like the sensitivity of the RL-22.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts